What do you do to get your son to do better on homework ?

And if he doesn't do good on his homework? do you make him do it after supper or after school? i am trying to get a routine down for my son he was doing great now its bad after he got into the ps-3 and i have to hear him yell throw a fit and wondering my his brothers and sister that are 6 yrd younger then him get more attation...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in

• I would make him sit down and do it as soon as school is out or maybe let him have a snack and watch one television program and then do it. I would also check it for him to make sure he did it right.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yeah, I say he does it right after school for sure. Let him have a snack, but nothing else until it's done. Also, you should sit down at the table with him while he works on it. Then you are right there to help if he needs it and you know he is not wandering around the house doing other things.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My older kids have always done homework right after they get home. They are allowed to play for about 1/2 hour before we leave the school, do errands, pick up the pre-schooler and then it is snack and homework until dinner. If they finish, they have piano and then they can go play until dinner. IF they ask to go somewhere quiet to work, I let them but check on them frequently.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• When my kids were in the first grade, I took the whole year to teach them HOW to do homework. To read the questions correctly and make good decisions as to what the question is actually asking. I also sat with them and showed them methods of memorization and showed them how memory works when reading, and what order homework should be done in. Like Math first because it is less time consuming, than a favorite subject, break or dinner, and then the harder or more time consuming course. It worked for me, my two older kids rarely if ever ask for homework help, most of the time it is done before they get home from school and crying over homework just doesn't exist. There really is a method to doing homework, not just the act of making a kid sit down and do it. No sugar, no caffein no tv and no rewarding bad behavior. The kids need to know there is no choice as to whether or not they do it themselves.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Don't let him do anything else before homework is done. no tv no video games no going outside to play with friends.until homework is done. believe it works . well it worked with my son.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• give him 30 minutes to chill when he gets home from school. he may have excess energy to get out of his system. explain to him that after 30 minutes he needs to buckle down and get to work. then give him a snack that he can eat with his fingers and not make a mess while he studies. I have boys and I have found that they needed run time when they got home. once they got that done they were able to study better. Also give him a quiet corner that is just for homework no TV or other distractions

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• SIT HIM DOWN AFTER HE GETS HOME AND MAKE HIM DO IT RIGHT THEN. SIT WITH HIM AND TELL HIM IF HE DOES NOT DO IT AND DO IT RIGHT , THEN YOU WILL TAKE HIS GAME AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH. IF HE ACTS OUT THEN TAKE IT AWAY FOR AWHILE AND MAKE HIM EARN IT BACK AND DON'T BUY INTO THE THEY GET MORE ATTION THAN ME CRAP. SHOW HIM HOW MUCH YOU LOVE HIM BY CARRING ABOUT HIS GRADES AND HELPING HIM. SPEND SPECIAL TIME WITH HIM WITH OUT THE YOUNGER KIDS. DO NOT CADDLE HIM OR HE WILL BE A BABBIE FOREVER
    bamamom2212

Answer by bamamom2212 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We got to have a snack, but then it was right onto homework. No friends, no tv, nothing until it was done. Most nights it was expected to be done before my dad got home from work. None of us had problems with homework when we followed those rules.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009