Fasting

Does anyone know the spiritual or religious reasoning behind fasting? Just interested
I posted this earlier in a different category and dont know how to close it sorry:)

ashleyuc07

Asked by ashleyuc07 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, there are a lot of verses in the Bible about fasting. It is a time when we go without food and certain activities in order to draw near to the Lord in prayer, worship, and Bible study. It is not enough to just not eat, if we are not pursuing Him -- we need to be filled all day with Him. I always look forward to fasting now, that I have learned that it is less about food and more about my heart.

In fact, here is a website called Trumpet and Torch, and they have a lot of information about fasting; they have a whole program. I just did the 10 day fast with their accompaning book (my neighbor gave it to me) and God spoke to me so much. They really help you to see the heart behind fasting so that it will be a beautiful time, not unbearabe : ) LOL!

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The Book of Acts records believers fasting before they made important decisions (Acts 13:4; 14:23). Fasting and prayer are often linked together (Luke 2:37; 5:33). Too often, the focus of fasting is on the lack of food. However, the purpose of fasting is to take our eyes off the things of this world and instead focus on God. Fasting is a way to demonstrate to God and to ourselves that we are serious about our relationship with Him
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 9:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Fasting (and embracing the hunger that it produces) improves us spiritually in several ways: We express our recognition that spiritual things are more important than physical things. We learn to deny ourselves pleasures, even in spite of pain—an important spiritual lesson. We declare that we recognize the need to reform and to get closer to God. We willingly embrace the hunger fasting produces as a sign of being willing to shoulder the burdens of others (cf. Col. 1:24). Finally, we express humility before God by adopting a humble posture, recognizing our dependence on him and affirming our submissiveness to his will.
    To learn more go to http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9703chap.asp
    mom4life2009

Answer by mom4life2009 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009