okay, so i don't really get it.

I don't have cable to watch the news, and I don't get the paper. So I have no idea what's going on with the universal healthcare. Why do you think it's good? Why do you think it's bad? I have awesome insurance through hubby's job. Could we lose that? What do you guys say about it?

MelindaFeeney

Asked by MelindaFeeney at 10:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It is not Universal Health Care, it's Health Care Reform. You will be required by law to buy insurance; you will have insurance premiums, co-pays, and deductibles. Medicaid will be expanded for the poor, some people will get their insurance subsidized by the government. If you don't have insurance, you can be fined.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• What? and no problem what the last admin had Comcast , Rcn and all other phone / internet companies give ALL up all user info?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• There a so many different versions of the bill floating around and all sorts of tweaking going on with it still, it's going to be hard for anyone to say for sure what would happen with your insurance.

But, the last I heard about private insurance through employment (in the bill), is that if you're employers wanted to switch providers, or make any significant changes to your coverage, then you'd automatically get filtered into the public pool of insurers.

I do know for sure that in all versions of the bill there's a fine for employers not offering insurance, but that fine is cheaper than actually paying to insure employees, so a lot of employers are figuring on just paying the fine and letting their staff go to the public option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm all for people getting access to affordable healthcare, but this so called gang of 6 are really f--ing it up..Baucus's bill is a joke, bought and paid for by the insurance companies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Bought and paid for by the insurance companies! Where are you getting your info. It charges a 35% excise tax for a number of the plans. The so called "cadillac" plans are plans that really belong to teachers/other union workers, city, county, state and federal workers. Workers like police officers, fire fighters, bus drivers, sanitation workers and prison guards. It will afffect cafeteria ladies and janitors, health department people and your mailman. It is a essentially a 35% health care tax on a large swath of middle America. Oh, yeah this plan is a winner.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009