SHE WONT STOP POOPIN IN THE HOUSE!!!

OK I have a four year old Cocker spaniel, I love her to death. She IS a rescue from some who beat her. I have had her for the past three years, and she WILL not stop using the bath room in teh freakin house!!! She is making my house stink, to teh point I dont want ppl over cause its that bad!....uuuugggghhh!!!! Ok i have her a schedule, i have tried treats,clickers, everything. I am to the point where i am ready to give up and send her to the shelter. she just wont stop, i know its prolly nerves OMG its 3 years later.. I JUST took her out not even 3hours ago, got up to pee and i could smell it.. what should i do?? I am seriously at my wits end with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pets

• take her out every hour and wait til she goes outside. watch her carefully, she may be asking quietly by just sitting at the door (my dog does this, he will sit at the back door for 5 mins not making a sound, if you don't let him out he does his business in the house, he will also get really hyper and jump around and everywhere and that is another hint. but he never barks or scratches at the door, took me 2 yrs to figure that out) cage her while you are gone so she doesn't mess in the house. as for your house smelling, i'd have it pro cleaned, if you can afford it and it is your house, put in hardwood floors those will be much easier to clean than carpet. gate off any areas of the house where she primarily goes (if she goes up to go so you don't catch her, make it so she can't go up etc...)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• scratch her paw on the door before you go outside, after she potties in the grass praise her (petting and saying good girl). if you actually catch her going potty inside grab her up and take her outside (don't wait till she's done going) make a loud noise as you pick her up or before you pick her up clap or make a loud sound like that.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Umm 3 hours is a LONG time for some dogs. Its not unreasonable she should need to go out every hour or two during the day. If you know you are going to be gone for a long time during the day, limit her water intake just before. Have you had her checked for a bladder infection?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• first off get the dog checked by a vet.....if that checks out ok then get a set potty schedule,start with every hour and stretch it out longer once the dog learns the routine....very important get a good enzyme carpet clearner and get the smell out of the carpet so the dog wont resoil the area....and last but not least get a crate for bedtime and when you leave the house.....dogs wont soil where they sleep......
    offer praise,positve reinforcment is the key.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think 3 hours is a long time for a dog to wait. Really it's become a habit now, so you're going to have to put in a lot of work to make a new habit. It's going to be like she's a puppy all over again. I had to take mine out every 20 minutes until they got the idea. Don't give up on the dog! It's not her fault.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 6:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Put her in the yard with a doghouse then leave her there, and have your house professionally cleaned. Nobody needs to ruin a house over a free dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• With my puppies, we took them out every twenty minutes until they went and then waited an hour once they'd gone. She should be small enough that you can carry her out to the spot you want her to use as a potty. That way she makes just that spot a habit and not the whole back yard. Give her twenty minutes (popular number with me for training huh) after eating and then take her out. If she doesn't go, put her in the crate until it's time to take her out again. It'll be easier for her to understand don't poop in the crate and then turn that into don't poop in the house. If you make her an outside dog, she'll feel abandoned. It'll be a lot of work but if you love her it'll be worth it. Have the carpet professionally cleaned if you can. If not, rent a carpet cleaner from the hardware store and make sure to do it a couple times. Good luck. Remember, you'll have to treat this training like you would a puppy.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Anon 7:48 AM,

Wow! Dogs are pack animals, they belong INSIDE with their owners who are their pack. If you had read the post, the dog was a rescue.

OP I work in rescue. Is there a way you can put a dog door in your house somewhere. If she was beaten, its quite possible she was beaten to the point of being terrified of everything. Yes, three years is a long time, but some rescue dogs never forget their past. Its good that you have tried so much and NOT GIVEN UP. Have you tried an extra large litter box? I know its nuts, but I have had a few people tell me it did work. The dog doesn't bury the poop, but, its better then on the floor someplace.

You can also try a crate. Dogs will not mess in their crate because they consider it their own living space.

DON"T GIVE UP ON HER!!!!!!! If you need any more advice, please don't hesitate to PM me.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I used this trick for our chihuahua mix puppy. He was going outside like a big boy..everytime..but late in my pregnancy his people dropped the ball on the schedule..once he got in the habit of going under or behind furniture to make...it stuck. I was beside myself tired, and at my wits end over the mess...especially with two little ones in the house. I read in a training book to put the puppy/dog on a leash...long enough to have slack while on the floor and you are standing, loop the leash around your belt buckle. It keeps your pet close to you, so you can see any clues, sniffing, stooping, squating what ever your dog does right before he makes a mess in the house. that gives you the opportunity to lead the dog outside, without it being traumatically snatched up and dropped outside. It's also supposed to help if you have a dog that gnaws or chews...any unwanted secret behavior..because you can actually keep them in sight
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 9:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• In a situation like this you need to start house training all over. Treat her like a puppy. Take her out every hour and praise her for going potty outside. Always go out the same door so she will learn to stand at it when she needs to go out. Never leave her unsupervised.
    If she came from a bad situation she was probably never house trained.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2009