"Where's the baby cold medicine?!"

My kids are sick. They are 1 & 2. There is no cold medicine for kids their age over the counter! Neither of them could sleep last night and tonight isn't looking too much better. They're going to the dr tomorrow but I wish there was something I could give them tonight. Their poor little noses are so stopped up they can't even breath :*( I know saline nose drops and a aspirator but they hate that & I don't wanna make them sad. lol Have you ever given your kids medicine they weren't old enough to take and just downed the dosage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• They don't make it for kids that age because recent studies showed that it doesn't help them or make them feel any better. Ashjacks4 said it right, you should absolutely not give your child medicine that is for adults or older children. Their systems can overdoes too easily.

Try so Vick's Vapor rub on the bottoms of their feet, then put socks on them - or you can put a little bit on their pajamas. Tylenol will help with any aches and pains.

I hope they feel better!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• never give your child medication that they shouldn't have, your child could over dose. I would talk to the doctor in the morning to find out if there anything else you can do. But Tylenol should help with the symptoms in the mean time
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If you ask a pharmacist they can give you an adjusted dose.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 10:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I searched different stores and occasionally come across something he could have. My doc says not to give cold medicine because its not safe due to all of the overdoses in children, so she can't recommend it to me. So if you can't find it for them, that's the reason, don't lower the dosage
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Try so Vick's Vapor rub on the bottoms of their feet, then put socks on them - or you can put a little bit on their pajamas. Tylenol will help with any aches and pains.

Damn, I forgot about this!!! Thank you! I have some too... -OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009