Pacifiers

I have a 7 week old addict. Drug of choice, her binki. How can I break her of this before it gets way too bad. She will wake up at night freaking out because she lost it and is not happy until she has it. Is there an easy way to take it from her without causing too much stress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would give it to her right now and it will ease up soon, that's when you should make your move.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ya i think 7 weeks is still ok to give in....i'd rather re-plug than have to have a whole feeding session haha...
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my dd is 13 months and still has hers and will for sometime, until she is ready for it to go bye bye
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have read that it's better for a baby to get "addicted" to a pacifier rather than their thumb....you can take the pacifier away! If this is what she needs for comfort I'd let her have it for a while..no harm done in my opinion.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Let her have it. At 7 weeks, it's a comfort thing, not really an addiction. Give her a few months until she's old enough to learn how to deal without it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• did you know that babies that use a pacifier have a reduced risk of dying of sids...reduced by 74%. you can look it up. also babies have a natural need to suck, it helps them learn to eat properly and also teaches them to self comfort. what you can do is limit her use, get her used to sleeping without it in day. she is only 7 weeks-let her have it, she needs it to feel comfort.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• one more think, babies that suffer from acid reflux(which over 50% do as the muscle in stomach/esophogus is as weak as rest of muscles) use a pacifier to keep stomach acids in the stomach. again, google or search pacifier benefitsw and alot of medical info pops up.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Pacifiers reduces sids why would you want to take it away so soon? plus it's easier to take away a "binki" when they are older then it is to cut off their thumb. A baby who wants to suck on something for comfort will suck on either a thumb or a pacifier it's your choice which one it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• some babies have a stronger sucking reflex than others. She probably NEEDS the pacifier to meet her needs. Let her have it. You can always wean her off it later on.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• she's 7 weeks old...don't worry about bad habits. There's plenty of time for that...my daughter is 12 months and still takes it to go to sleep...by the way, it has been shown that it reduces the risk of SIDS....there's nothing wrong with her wanting it. Let her have it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009