My 16 month old son bit my eyelids when I was sleeping..

My eyelids are red and swollen and it hurts to blink. Will my eye be okay? any other mommas out there have this happen to them? Also, how do I get him to stop biting?! I've tried everything!

lovemymnM

Asked by lovemymnM at 11:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have never had my kids bite my eyelids, but have you tried biting him back not hard but enough to get the point across, just keep doing it everytimes he bites you bite him back a bit harder and explaine to him that it hurts and it's not nice to do that to others
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You poor thing! Your eye will heal, I'd use a warm compress (tea-bags work nicely) as you would for a sty.

As for the biting. My son bites. Most of the time it happens around the time he's teething, so I give him some leeway there. But on those occasions where he bites out of anger or frustration, I pick him up, look him directly in the eye, tell him sternly "you do not bite!" and place him in his playpen for a minute.

The advice "bite them back!" - I disagree with this completely. I get that it's supposed to show them that biting hurts, but any teething toddler has bitten him/herself plenty - they know it hurts. If you bite back, you either send a message that biting is ok, turn it into a game, or totally confuse them (like giving a smack while saying, "mustn't hit!") IMO, removing them from the situation, getting on their level and telling them what they did wrong teaches them without hurting them back.

lissarae7

Answer by lissarae7 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry!!! i have never been bitten on the eye!!! My dd did bit me on my tricep, drew blood and everything. I bit her back and left a tiny red mark (this was at 13 mos) she hasn't bit me or anyone since and she's 22 mos now. IMO, if biting them back once or twice doesn't work, it won't work and you should try something else. I don't really know what else, but biting won't work if you have to do it more than once or twice! GL!!!! I hope you feel better soon!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• speak with you Physician. For some children biting is one of the flags for A.S.D. among other sensory seeking behaviors. I'd recommend a CHAT screening
    sparrow1138

Answer by sparrow1138 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I bit my DD back when she bit me. It took about 3 attempts b/c I didn't do it hard enough to get the point across. She hasn't bitten since and it has been more than 5 mos. I have also pinched back and it took 2 attempts b/c the first didn't do any good. The second one, you would have thought that the world was coming to an end. So I believe that it works. Every child is different and it may not work but I would give it a shot unless you want swollen eyelids again.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I honestly don't understand why so many parents give the advice "bite them back!" - whether it's a "little" bite or not, retaliation just teaches your child that violence begets violence. Not to mention the fact that human bites can be dangerous, especially an ADULT's bite - do you have any idea how much bacteria is swarming around in your mouth?

Seriously, most kids go through a biting phase at some point, in toddlers, it's probably due to teething. Just remove your child from the situation, RESTRAIN THE IMPULSE TO BITE BACK, and talk to your child about why it's wrong to cause others pain (begin working on learning the "golden rule"). Then help your kid find more appropriate outlets for agressive feelings/frustration, and encourage them to develop self control.

lissarae7

Answer by lissarae7 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009