Advice about my 8.5 month old

My DD is 8.5 months old and she is just now starting to not want her baby food. I have givin her 1,2,and 3 foods but still shes sick of her baby food. She is just now starting to get her 2 bottom teeth but there not all the way in yet. She wants what I give her brother (which he is 21 months) but she cant eat half the stuff I give him b/c she'll end up choking on it. Right now I give her wee tiny pieces of waffles, eggs,mac n cheese. Does anyone know what else I can give her? She gets tired of the things I give her. I also know that she still needs baby food b/c of the nutrition in it. I kinda just shove it in her mouth so atleast shes eaten a little bit of it. Any ideas would be appreciatted.

tonia_h

Asked by tonia_h at 11:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my guy got a taste of real food, and that was it.....no more baby food for him....you can steam veggies (cuz they get nice and mushy) and give her pieces of that....soft fruits....mashed potatoes o avacadoes, yogurt, cheese (that is of course if she does ok with the dairy). anything you can mush between your fingers, she should be able to mush with her gums. o and just a warning...my DS also freaked out if i took too long to scoop, so she will prob start wanting to feed herself now too.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My daughter refuses baby food as well, although she's 10 months. For breakfast she gets cheerios and fruit. for lunch, she gets a veggie and some puffs, and dinner it's veggies, fruit, and a meat if we're having something she can actually have. Chicken is her favorite. But she likes meatloaf as well.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• they cant have egg whites for first year due to allergies, my dd never took to baby food ill give you her daily food plan if it helps
    7am-6oz bottle
    cheerios, diced apples/banana's , hardboiled egg yolk
    10am-snack
    handful of gerber puffs/yogurt drops/gerber "cheetos' not sure the name of them and 2oz of apple juice
    12 noon- lunch
    6oz bottle
    diced chicken pieces/tuna, diced carrots,
    2pm snack
    handful of puffs
    5pm
    6oz bottle
    shells with Parmesan cheese/cut up chicken breast/ diced veggie(pea's carrot's .cooked)
    8pm
    last bottle of the night 8oz

she is 9 months old
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 11:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Try to smash your food and make sure you give her a good balance of veggies, fruit, and protiens to make her grow. Try mashed potatoes, smashed veggies, purie fruits so she can eat them.
    Bernie65

Answer by Bernie65 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my daughter does really well with just two teeth on the bottom and her little finger in her mouth. SHE Eats almost everything. I cut meat to almost nothing. she has rice and beans. green beans peas and carrots loves Rice. she sucks on an apple and somehow purees it with her mouth. I think she teethes on it. I just watch her and make sure nothing too big gets in her mouth. it makes a lot of fun for her and with supervision she has never choked
    linalinda

Answer by linalinda at 1:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son didn't have any teeth at all until he was 9 months old. But it doesn't matter - you use your molars to chew and those don't come in until MUCH later. By 8 months was competely off baby food and eating table food. You should be able to cut up into small pieces just about anything you're eating. My son eats - yogurt, whole wheat waffles, blueberries, bananas, diced cheese, cheese toast, eggs (you mentioned), baked chicken, sweet potatoes, avocado, strawberries, peeled grapes, diced pineapple, french toast, mashed potatoes, peas, green beans, chopped broccoli, steamed carrot, etc

Answer by missanc at 8:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We started switching my son over to table foods at this age... he kind of got half and half... we would give him what he could have of the things we were eating and then supplement his diet with baby foods and yogurt.
    You can give her anything that is easy to mash between your fingers.... soft fruits, veges, crackers, dry cereals, eggs, noodles....
    Things that are a little harder to mash just make smaller... like meats until she gets the hang of it
    Don't worry about how many teeth she has... she won't use them to eat anyway. The Molars are for mashing... and she won't get any of those for some time... she can use her gums. The front teeth are for biting and as long as her food is small enough she won't need to take a bite of anything.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2009