Am I wrong for getting my tubes tied?

I'm getting my tubes tied on friday and I'm nervous about the procedure. Me and my husband made this choice together. We both agree that were happy with the kids we have. Then why do I feel so bad about the choice I'm making? Please someone give me advice

angelfire25

Asked by angelfire25 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Health

• A coworker of mine did the same thing. The only problem is that they divorced and her and her new husband want to have a child together. She now got her procedure reversed and she is having a hard time getting pregnant. You never know what life will bring you. I would really consider all of your options before settling. Also that procedure can be very painful. If your husband is positive about not having any more children maybe he should consider getting a vasectomy. Is way cheaper, faster, and less painful.
    lathena

Answer by lathena at 11:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Because you know there will be no more babies. It's okay to feel this way. I felt the same when I HAD to have a hysterectomy. If you are having doubts it's okay to put off the procedure until you KNOW it's what you want. GL
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• so much easier for your husband to get "snipped"- and if you already feel bad about it- DON"T do it!
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You, as a woman, are meant to bear children. Doing this procedure means you won't be able to do that anymore. I can see where, somewhere in the back of your mind, this could cause some doubt/hesitation/guilt.

If this is something that your husband and you have decided on, and have thought it through, then go ahead with the procedure. Its normal before ANY procedure to get the jitters. If this is more than just the jitters and you really feel wrong about doing it, then don't. Look into getting your hubby fixed instead. His much safer, heals faster and has a lesser chance of reversing itself anyways.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Even if you're sure you're making the right choice, I think your feelings are normal. My husband & I decided when I was pregnant with our 3rd son that we were satisfied with 3 kids, & that I would have my tubes tied during my c-section. I still had moments of fear & doubt. It wasn't so much that I wanted more kids, it was that I didn't like the thought that I wouldn't have the choice anymore. After it was over I was fine, & really happy with the decision. It gave us so much freedom.

There was 1 point when my youngest started kindergarten that I had twinges, but I knew I didn't really want more kids...it was probably good that I couldn't have them at that point.

Other than that, I've never had any regrets. It's been great for our marriage. My husband says he's never had a moment of regret!!

Good luck, & just think about how much more romantic your intimate moments can be when you don't have to worry about the consequences!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well, I would say you should let your DH get fixed not you. It's not fun to get under knife and put to sleep but for men, they don't even feel a thing and the whole process is only take 10-15 mins. Man...I would rather to go under knife for a tummy tuck but wouldn't get my tubes tied.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• BTW, I know that I am not helping here but If I were you, I would wait a little bit...wait for DH to be willing to get fixed...my two cents.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree!!! "he should consider getting a vasectomy. Is way cheaper, faster, and less painful."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2009