how can you help your child with stage fright?

My son is nine and he gets so nervous over everything. He playes soccer and is worried about playing aginst his friends and is on the field shaking, feels like he needs to throw up. He gets this way for games, school functions, music conserts, even just the unknown sets him off. We trie to reasure him all will be ok but it pains me to see him so worked up about things. Any suggestions??

jjcaj

Asked by jjcaj at 11:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe let him off the field not be in the team for a while and don't push him to do that. For me, I think it's not good to push kids to do things they don't enjoy doing.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i have a six year old girl and she is very shy, its hard for her to even sing infront of church, around people she knows well, i put her in the local pageants in our town and she just loves doing that, makes her feel like a princess for a day, and she has won twice, i would say just encourage him to do the things you know he enjoys, not everyone is a stage performer or likes sports, i would encourage but don't push, maybe he would rather be doing something else, find out what he enjoys and stick with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• He loves soccer so I think we will just encourage him to do his best and let him know it is okto be nervous. He has a grandparents program at school tomorrow and is very worried about it and it is just his class and there grandparents.

jjcaj

Answer by jjcaj at 1:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I used to get like that as a kid. Even though my parents never expected perfection, no one ever told me is that it is O.K. to mess up & that everybody messes up all the time. I thought that if I wasn't perfect, I would be so humiliated & everyone would see & laugh at me or think horribly of me. I thought that all the other kids were judging me constantly.  It really was exhausting to be like that as a child.  Maybe it would help if you mentioned some ways that you screwed up recently, & shed a humorous light on it.  Tell 1 of your friends about one of your mishaps right in front of him.  He'll see your friend laughing with you.  Hopefully he will start to see that it's good to laugh at yourself & its O.K. to lighten up.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2009