What does arrearages mean? (child support)

It says if you owe arrearages...I wanted to know when would be our last payment for child support on their eighteenth b/day or until you catch up on whatever we got behind on when does it really get terminated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Child supports ends on the childs 18th birthday or their graduation depending on the court order. However, if the person pay is in arears, then the payments keep going until it is completely paid. I'm 23 years old and my bio-father is still about $8,000 dollars in arears. Still has to keep paying.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Not all states does CS end on the 18th birthday..

the poster above me is correct..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It usually says in the child support order when the payments end. Like in mine, his payments end when my child turns 18 OR when he graduates high school if he turns 18 before graduating, as long as he will graduate before turning 19. However, if he is behind (which he is), then even though there will be no more new amounts after that cut off, he will still have to make payments until he has paid everything he owes.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If someone are behind on child support payments, that debt does not disappear when the child turns 18.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My children are in their 30's and my x still pays child support arrearage. So it is NOT at the 18th birthday like a lot of folks thinks. I know my x thought so. lol he was wromg

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think these things need to be spelled out in the divorce decree. I want to know if both parents share custody ONE of them must pay child support and provide health and dental insurance?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• in michigan, child support ends at 18, or 22 if the child is enrolled full-time in college. Any amount that they owe the court they will ALWAYS owe until it's paid off.
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 1:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• GOD BLESS YOU.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2009