Do you think parents whose children are enrolled in public schools have a right to send their kid to school with peanut butter if they want to?

I mean, it's a public school. I don't think a public school should be putting restrictions on parents as far as what foods they can and can't feed their children. I'm sorry about the kids with deadly peanut allergies, but why should my child have to be denied his favorite lunch of pb&j's because because of a couple of kids (in a school of 800 kids)? Shouldn't the parents of the kids with peanut allergies be required to make other schooling arrangements for their children? I'm allergic to perfume, but I don't require people around me to stop wearing it. I learn how to avoid certain situations and places. A child's parents should learn which situations are best for their children so they can avoid a deadly reaction to peanut butter, not require everyone around them to make accomodations.

Any opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yep I agree with you. I'm allergic to bumble bees, but that doesn't mean I can go around dictating where the queen bee decides to build a nest. My allergy to bumble bees is my problem that I have to deal with for the rest of my life. The bees aren't going to change their way of life for ME, nor would I expect them to! Same goes for a child with a peanut butter allergy. They might as well make the child learn how to avoid these situations now and deal with them before he gets in the work world and starts demanding that peanut butter not be brought in the office, that shit just isn't going to fly. Jmo.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with you....maybe not so much when the children's ages are very young..

My dd would starve to death because all she eats in bb&j...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I bet you wouldnt feel that way if it were your child.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No I don't think that they do. I think that it's a small inconvenience for the safety of other children.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• So you think all kids who are allergic to pb should go to the same school and not be allowed in public school? Sorry but I think it is totally acceptable to say no nuts at school if it could mean a child's (or anyone's life). My DD ate PB&J every day for the whole grade 1 year for lunch- that was all she would eat practically every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. However, for the two years previous to that she didn't eat PB&J for brekkie or lunch/snack during the week because she had daycare and husband and DD of the woman who ran the daycare were deadly allergic to nuts. Even at 4 she could understand that she couldn't have PB on daycare days until after daycare because it could make someone else very sick. She accepted and was just fine with that, and so was I. Now my DS has a nut allergy in his kindy class so I am sending him with nut free granola bars instead of his regular Almond ones.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My DS has a language delay and does not understand spoken words very well (he has the comprehension of a 4yr old instead of a 5 1/2 yr old like he is) and even he understands and accepts the necessity.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• wow thats very caring of you,who gives a crap if a kid might die,very mean,i dont think peanut butter sandwhices are good for lunch anyway those are called "lazy lunches"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• sunbutter(made from sunflower seeds) is an excellent sub for peanut butter. I think u r being unreasonable. and that's comming from a mother who homeschools her children
    *Peanut Allergy is the most common cause of food related death
    *More than 3 million people in the United States report being allergic to peanuts, tree nuts or both.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have a PA child and I feel PB should never be served at school or in the classrooms but, you have every right as a parent to send it in with your child for lunch. I also have children who love pb and never send a snack for the classroom with peanuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think that it is understandable to have that restriction for younger kids. They do not always understand and may pull the pb out when it is not safe for the other child. But for older children i think the restriction is stupid.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009