petty or not?

Ok, we live in a townhouse community (on a military base overseas), and each house has 2 assigned parking spots. Each spot is painted with the address it's assigned to. We are not allowed to own more than 2 cars per household. There are visitor spots at the end of the block, and the school is behind our house and across the street, with a parking lot there that we're allowed to use during non school hours /activity times.

Well, last night, it was pouring rain and dark. My dh and dd come home from the store, and one of our neighbors was apparently having a party, because all the spots were full (even for the empty units in our area), there were cars illegally parked, and there was someone parked in our spot. NOBODY was parked at the school, and there were empty spots at the end of the block in the visitors spot.

My dh had to park down there and carry our stuff home in the rain.

cont

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 12:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• cont

Now, this is not the first time they've done this (party with all the spots taken), but it's the first time they've also taken our assigned spot. We don't know which unit it is, exactly, that was having the party, plus, honestly, we've only lived here like 2 months and don't want to have neighbor drama.

We were irritated and left a note on their car, saying that this was an assigned spot - NOT assigned to them, and they need to move their car so that we, the occupants of the unit, could park there.

One of my friends here (who was NOT having the party) thinks this was petty. I think it's irritating, because there was plenty of unassigned parking down the road, and as a resident, we should be able to use our spot, and that this is like parking in someone else's driveway.

What do you think?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Oh, and btw, not that it makes that much of a difference, due to a lot of things that are too complicated to get into here, we know that all our neighbors should be WELL past the age of not knowing any better!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• That is bull even in regular apartments if the spot is for a certain apartment you will get towed if you are parked there and it is not yours.
    Its not petty people need to have respect.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't think it is petty. Its not fair to your family to have to walk when you have an assigned spot to park. That's the whole point. I bet they wouldn't like it if you did the same to them. Some people just don't think or don't care.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would either call a tow truck or just park right behind them and block them in.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• LOL well my DH would agree with you in a heartbeat. We live in a patio home across from some apartments. We have three spaces to park (we pay premium rent to live on this side of town) we have two spaces in the driveway and one space on the street. We kept having problems with one apartment renter always taking the parking space in front of our house (where our son parks)- anyway a few times this guy would park so stupid that his bumper would be blocking part of our driveway. DH spoke to the guy like twice about it - he kept doing it. Then one morning I took pictures of how much of our driveway he was blocking and sent a letter (w/ pics) to the complex mgt. DH also left a note on the guys truck and told him if he wanted to pay part of our rent to park there that he (my DH) would be happy to come over and collect his parking rent every month - the guy stopped. It's not petty when you have assigned parking. It's rude of them.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would have done the same thing, if not of knocked on their door. I would have been mad as hell. They were in the wrong, not you.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• anyway...i really didnt go into the cont. part....WAY TMI....
    but i would totally be pissed if someone took my ASSIGNED parking space!
    ColeysMommy2

Answer by ColeysMommy2 at 1:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Not petty, if you dont bring it to their attention, they will park there every time they have a party. At least you did it nicely, I would have found the door, knocked and asked them to move out of my spot. Most places dont even give you a warning, because you know the rules when you move in, they would just tow the car, so no, I dont think its petty at all.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2009