5 month old and constapation

my 5 month old has double ear infections and is on amoxacillian which typically causes the runs but not in his case its got him all stoped up. What can i do to help him? our dr said we could use a laxative if we wanted but that seems a bit much at the moment id like that to be my last choice? any one help? Hes not on baby food yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try 100% juice(pear, apple, prune) diluted 50/50 wither water. It shouldn't take much. and don't exceed more than 4 oz. of juice in a whole day. Good luck, Momma. I sure hope that little man feels better soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My child got stopped up at about 3 months and my doctor too told me to give him a laxative, i didn't do that he didn't need it as far as i was concerned but he was deffinately pissed off because he couldn't poo. One of my best friends moms is a nurse for like 20 years plus and i called her. she told me warm water in a boogie sucker (or bulb whatever you want to call it) put a little bit of ky or petrolum jelly on it and use it like an enema, not too warm deffinately not hot just luth warm. put down a towel as well as paper towels under the babys bottom, I did this and got a little bit out and after i got a little bit out put a diaper on him and waited for about an hour and then his diaper was full. Don't worry if all the water comes out it will be in his diaper after he does the big poo. good luck hope this helps
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 1:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• go buy dark karo syrup and add a tbl spoon per four onc. 3 times a day
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You can also make sure baby is not allergic to Milk. My daughter has an allergy to milk and so she gets constipated real bad with any milk even now that she is 5. We always just gave her juice when she struggled and the next hour always made a big difference in her bowels. Also you can move their little legs back and forth like a bike and that helps them move stuff along too. sometimes the kiddos just dont move around enough to get bowels moving. A warm bath and a massage helps too.
    linalinda

Answer by linalinda at 1:52 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• DO NOT GIVE BABY KARO!!!! Karo can carry botulism which is DEADLY in infants. Stay away from the Karo.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• karo syrup is no known fact that it kills infants that is false information. I was never told dark karo syrup either just karo light syrup i havent used it only for my dog because his sugar gets low. i wouldnt give karo syrup even if your child has had food yet. i was told by my doc 2oz water but everyone has there opinions. can try the pediactiric suppositorys only stick half way in and pinch his cheeks. another doctor told me the pinky works also for same effect just dont forget to use petroluem jelly sorry for spelling
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• "karo syrup is no known fact that it kills infants that is false information."

Actually you need to do some additional research. I will post the information for you here. It also makes no difference if it is light or dark Karo.

"Should Karo syrup be used for infant feeding? "We are aware that some health care professionals suggest feeding Karo syrup to infants in a formula or for relief of constipation. Because corn syrup, like many other foods is not a sterile product, there is a remote possibility that it may contain C. botulinum spores." http://www.karosyrup.com/faq.asp

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• "Many doctors still recommend the corn syrup for constipation, but this is a practice we would like to see stopped. The reason is, in recent years, studies have shown that corn syrup *can* harbor botulism spores, which are a deadly toxin produced by bacteria. While adult immune systems may be able to handle the minute amounts that could be present, a baby would be at a very increased risk. When I worked in the WIC, a lot of moms said "the doctor told me to" or "my mom did it, and I never got sick" or something to that effect. I think many doctors are not aware of the risk, as the research is fairly recent. Furthermore, there is only a *chance* that the spores are present, they are not *always* in the corn syrup. That is why many moms and their moms have tried this without any harm, but I think it's a chance that is not worth taking with your baby's health."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Sep. 17, 2009