starting a co-op preschool

I have been thinking very seriously about starting a co-op preschool in Gresham Oregon and i am looking for any advice you can give me! THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was in a pre-school co-op when my boys were small. We had a 10 week cycle. We limited to 8 kids. We had a meeting at the beginning of the 10 weeks, &planned the next 9 weeks of pre-school. Each mom taught 1 week, the so that we each had 7 weeks free. 1st week of the cycle meeting, 4 weeks of teaching, then the next week a field trip, then 4 weeks of teaching, then we started again. We planned a theme for the next 8 weeks, each mom taught about a letter, a number & color. If a mom couldn't teach on her week she had to trade with another mom. If she didn't do her week, she was dropped, we had a waiting list to get into our co-op, so you didn't want to be kicked out.

Get your parents together and set up rules & a system that will work for you. Decide if you want to purchase curriculum, or plan yourselves. We bought big tubs & filled them w/ art and school supplies, & each week the mom to teach next took the tubs home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• cont.

We also had rules on behavior. If we couldn't control a child, they would be dropped. We had teaching partners, a parent that was willing to help us with special projects on our turn to teach.

Also we only had school 2 or 3 days a week depending on the ages of the kids.

There's a lot to do, but not at all difficult. If you're organized, it will be a great experience. It was one of the best things I did for my kids.

If I can help just message me!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2009