This goes with my last question about strep plz help i hate doctors now read and you will see why

Ok the antibotics the docotors gave my son didnt work its been three days four today! We took him to the hospital at 12 this morning and found out that he does not have strep the other doctor gave him the wrong (dont know how to spell it) dignosis, and he has a upper respitory viral infection! The hospital doctor showed me his throt and it is raw really red, he cant eat or drink. The meds they gave us still is not working! Finially i started vix and humidifire but that only works for so long! He is not eating very much and barley sleeps. I dont know what to do! I am only a teenage mom with no one to help me plz help i dont trust the doctors anymore! Thanks Much

Cassandra Orelup
And Sean Orelup

CJO1991

Asked by CJO1991 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Health

• Ok. So first off the first doc that you took your son to is that his regular doctor? Dose he know your child? Has he been seeing your child? I myself would believe a regular doc over an ER doc any day. Your regular doc knows your child and what is going on in his body and life better. But all doctors are humans and they make mistakes. Your son could very well have strep and it is just that your child is not responding to the meds that where given to him (I had that happen my dd went in with an miner ear infection (to the e and 3 days later when I took her to her doc it was a full blown double ear infection)( it is just that that particular me did not work on my dd.) it happens. And then you also have to stop and think yes the doc could have told you it was strep and been wrong (if so im so sorry for your child).
    And it normally take 2 days for any med to start working. So you have a little while longer to wait and see if it
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 2:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• And it normally takes 2 days for any med to start working. So you have a little while longer to wait and see if it is helping.
    I do not know how old your son is but try and give him some Tylenol every 4-6 hrs and that will take away some of the pain. Give him a room tip drink to drink (whatever he likes to drink the most) continue with the vix and the humidifier. Also try and get your son to sleep propped up it helps them to breath better.
    kristyleigh614

• If he has a viral infection, then antibiotics will not help. Antibiotics are to fight bacterial infections, not viral ones. You just have to let it run it's course.
    Did the original dr give your son a strep test? That's a pretty sure way to tell whether or not it's strep - there's a 5 min test they do in the office, and then another one that's like a 24 hr test.
    Different antibiotics work on different types of bacteria. If they can pinpoint the bacteria, they will have a better chance of knowing which medicines will work. But sometimes these days there are antibiotic resistant bacteria, so you have to go to a stronger antibiotic. My oldest son went through like 5 different antibiotics when he was 2, none of which worked and he ended up having to go to the hospital for an antibiotic that's only administered there. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It is also possible that he did have strep, the e.r. doctor didn't see it, because he's been on the antibiotics for a few days. It is possible to have strep AND a viral infection, so it is possible that BOTH doctors were right.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009