Is 13 months too young to tell how a child is going to behave in a few years?

My 13 month old is WILD which I know is normal for a toddler but I'm scared he's going to be trouble when he's older. He throws tantrums and has an ulimited supply of energy and I'm afriad he's going to be unmanagable in a few years. I know this sounds ridiculous but how much do their personalities now reflect what they'll be like as pre-school age kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• (cont) a drawer that has toys of his (change them out every few days so he doesn't get bored) or appropriate kitchen items. This is where you realize that he'll have just as much fun with an empty box and your measuring spoons as he will the expensive "brainiac" toys you bought. lol You might get tired of picking them up off the floor, although cheering and clapping when he puts one toy away will help him participate. It will also help him want to take them out again so you will cheer some more. The big thing is, he will have been entertained while you are multitasking dinner and keeping an eye on him. He will get his curiousity streak fulfilled.
    Even today, at 2 1/2 yrs old, I have to do something really active with DS every day. He sleeps better and behaves better when he's had an outlet. Get creative, help direct your DS into areas of play that work for YOU. You can do it! PS You're a good Mom or you wouldn't be worrying!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Like you said, that is normal toddler behavior. They are trying to establish some independence and acting out is a way of doing so. They like to test their limits, some more than others. LOL I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Just be sure to properly discipline him, and hopefully you'll have nothing to worry about! I think that a lot of children that act out, do so from lack of discipline! If you are truly concerned, or  his behavior gets worse, then  you might want to bring it up at a check-up just to be safe. Good luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Energy that is untapped means you probably have to find ways to harness it. get the baby to vaccum with you or do dishes or something creative like painting. The personality of a unruly child comes from not interacting with the child and allowing them to rule the roost. If you are the person in control of the house then it will show when the baby is out of the house. if the baby is in control then that too will show.
    Remember we are to train the child not let the child train us. Being mommy means we make the decisions. We decide what is ok. stop what is not ok. if there is alot of energy left in the child then we must work harder to get that energy harnessed. Get them to move around. exercise starts whenever the kids can move by himself! picking up toys starts when they start throwing them around. The more you can have interactions with the toddler the better everyone will feel at the end of the day!
    linalinda

Answer by linalinda at 2:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wondered about my son too. My friends' little girls that were his age sat so nicely and played quietly with their cute little toys. My son was constantly in motion, making noise, with a trail of destruction behind him. Then I saw some other boys and realized "It's a boy thing!" They just have more energy! (blame good ole testosterone) Is it a bad thing? Absolutely not. Just different. You definitely can't let him get away with murder, but you can set limits. A time out works effectively for this age. I just read about a study that said children who were spanked at 1 yr old were more aggressive at 2 than others. Not trying to open that whole debate, but I thought it very interesting. My point is, you can use discipline effectively, but not squelch his curiousity. Curiosity at this age is natural (in fact, it's a sign of intelligence). You just have to direct it. For example: If you are in the kitchen, let him have (cont...)
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 6:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Hmm, I asked similar question years before my child was finally diagnosed with an A.S.D.
    Please speak to you physician and request a CHAT screening.
    For years my concerns were met with numerous reassurance messages like "all children are very active at that age" "boys will be boys" "I'm sure it is something that he'll grow out of"
    looking back with the knowledge I now have, there were clear flags with my 2 children with ASD.
    Fortunately they were properly diagnosed and have made good success.
    Please please request a CHAT screening, in fact ,it should be part of every well baby checkup.
    sparrow1138

Answer by sparrow1138 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The key is to make sure you manage the tantrums now. He should never get what he wants as a result of a tantrum. By the same token, make sure you choose your battles. If you know he's going to explode if he doesn't get crackers for his snack, make sure it's worth the battle before deciding to not allow crackers! My son is also very active. I find that an hour of outdoor activity (or equivalent indoor activity) does wonders in managing his behavior. If burning off energy doesn't seem to help, I would mention it to your doctor just to make sure it isn't a problem.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2009