Afraid of socialism?

I don't understand how Obama is trying to "turn us into Russia" or change us to "socialism."

Our public school systems, police stations, and fire departments are set up in a socialist style. We make sure our children and citizens are safe and have access to a quality education. What's the big worry about insurance? Other countries in Europe have universal healthcare and they are NOT socialist. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand where this fear is coming from. I've taken multiple history classes on Russia and communism, and I honestly don't see the connection. Just alot of hyped up propaganda, but if I'm missing something, please tell me!

If you think Obama is a socialist, I would love to hear why. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama does have his hands in to many things, the President does not need to be telling the auto business how to run it's buisness nor does he need to be telling Wall Street what to do. He scares the crap out of me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• But Roosevelt did the same thing during the depression, and even Bush was bailing out banks at the end of his term. Reagan bailed out the auto industry in the 80's too, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there's more examples (sorry, I'm tired and can't think straight, lol.) Obama isn't the first to do these types of things.

I'm not saying I agree with everything he's doing, or it's the right path. I just don't think he's a socialist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Reagan bailed out the auto industry in the 80's

He didn't take them over and appoint a czar as to how much they are allowed to earn. Gov regulations are the problem to begin with, let alone more control as Obama is doing now. Obviously Reagans bailout didn't solve the problem either did it?

public school systems, police stations, and fire departments are set up in a socialist style
    All regulated at the STATE AND LOCAL level (public education was susposed to be that way)

Roosevelt extended the depression by yrs. He went so fareven the democrats in congress refused to support him finally.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It's a sensationalist word. It provokes fear. Also likened to comparing Obama to Hitler. Sure, Hitler was an amazing oralist, but that's not what he is remember for, is it? And since I don't see any genocide going on....
    Anyone who has an understanding of political and economic spheres realizes that Obama is not a socialist. People just throw the word around to make him sound bad.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 9:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It seems like half of the historians and economists believe that Roosevelt extended the Depression with his "bailouts," while the other half think he was a savior. The point is, no one was screaming that these presidents were "socialist." They may have made poor choices but they weren't trying to corrupt the foundations that this country was built on. Personally, I HATED Reagan, but he was far from a socialist.

Just like Obama.

I'm sick of turning on my news and seeing repeated rallies about how Obama is a socialist when his policies, although maybe not the best choices, are not like Russia. Or Hitler.

Hannah: On the Jon Stewart show the other night, they had clips throughout the years of the media calling a bunch of our past presidents "Hitler." It was actually pretty funny. Seems to be a fallback for when they can't think of something better. But I agree with you. "Socialism" is just sensationalism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2009