H1N1

So, we have 3 sick kids in our house with this. Took the oldest to the ER when he spiked a 104 fever. They said, "we are only giving Tamaflu to high risk patients. Everyone else it's just keeping the fever down with Tylenol and Motrin alternated". I wondered if this was true so I called the advice nurse and sure enough, on post they are doing the same thing. So nothing but fever reducers. Thats it! With all the hype and fear, I was expecting something more. So, anyone know how to keep little ones calm when they are REALLY sick. I mean like sleeping all day and hurting all over sick? Oh and how do I convice a 3 yr. old that he HAS to take medicine. He doesn't WANT to take it and he spits it out whenever we try to give it to him. ANY advice would be good.

Petie

Asked by Petie at 2:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The only thing i can say is that my mom went through the same thing i hated medicine and i would just throw up pills, if i had to take a pill my mom would mix it in with a little debbie oatmeal cream pie. if it was something to swallow, she'd bribe me with a popsicle or something that would keep me hydrated. Those are the only points of bribery i can think of oh yeah sherbert. hope this helps.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• When I had the flu as a child, my fever was always 104.

My oldest hates liquid medicine. It was easier to teach her to swallow a pill. Now they have the chewables & meltaways. You can alternate motrin & tylenol every 4 hours until his fever breaks. Keep him hydrated with water, soda, popsicles
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We are experiencing this in my house right now! My 6 y/o and I have it. My children were given Tamiflu, but I was not. My 3 y/o's was prescribed as a preventative. They both have asthma. I had a hard time locating some Tamiflu. My 3 y/o's has been on order for 2 days.

I've been giving my kids and I lots of powerade (powerade zero for me ) because we've had no appetite for days. We are also using Mucinex for cough and Motrin for fever. I hope everyone in your family is feeling better soon. And that no one else in your family comes down with it.

***Don't tell too many people you have H1N1 because they overeact to it and treat you like a leper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Wow -- all the hype of "this stuff is deadly! It' going to kill tens of thousands!!" ... yet, you can't get tamiflu?

Yeah.... think about that one.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There isnt much more you can do then try to keep the fever down. And if your child is well enough to fight taking his medicine then thats actually a good sign. A very sick kid would be too out of it to fight it.

My 2 year old culture tested positive on July 24th for the swine flu. She had a fever seizure (her 6th and the first time I took her to the ER) and I took her in because at 42 minutes after the start of it, she still wasnt responsive. They werent even going to test her but i mentioned her brother being a pulminary patient and they not only cultured her, they started her on tamiflu that day. They did this to cut down the days that she would be contagious to help reduce the risk of her brother getting it from her. They said that if her result came back positive (which it did the next day) that they would start Jaydin on tamiflu as a preventative instantly. They started him on it the next day. ...
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Then on Aug 7th he culture tested positive for it as well. The only problem was that the period between her and him was too long for him to have gotten it from her so he picked it up somewhere else, even after being on tamiflu.

I personally feel (and THANKFULLY I felt this way before my kids got it) that it is WAY overrated and people are seriously freaking out about nothing. If you child is not struggling to breathe, is not a SEVERE asthmatic or does not have a fever so high that their organs are shutting down (and if your child can fight the meds then he/she is fine in that area) then there is no reason to freak out about the swine flu

OK thats my story and my opinion
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• " Wow -- all the hype of "this stuff is deadly! It' going to kill tens of thousands!!" ... yet, you can't get tamiflu?

Yeah.... think about that one. "

I was told by my doctor the CDC isn't releasing Tamiflu and other antivirals unless you have a compromised immune system or heart issue, etc. I couldn't believe how hard it was to locate some. Our CVS's, Rite Aids, and Walmarts were all out. So the lady at Walmart ordered my son some on Tue. It's supposed to be in today but thankfully he isn't showing any symptoms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Truthfully, the H1N1 is no more deadly that the regular flu, unless you have a compromised immune system. The people that have died/will die from it have something else going on that weakens there body's immune system. My MIL, FIL, BIL, SO, DD, and myself had it. We all had healthy immune systems, so we got nothing but Tylenol and Motrin. None of us died! I do believe the word for it is Fear Mongering.

ANYWAY- my dd hates liquid medicine, so i got a syringe(which you can find at wal mart) without a needle on it. I would make her open her mouth and squirt it down her throat It sounds awful, but when you have a child with a fever 104, anything is better than giving them nothing. Or if you have grape or cherry Tylenol try putting it in their juice.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It a media hype! I had possible h1n1 two weeks ago but declined the test. The treatment wouldn't change with a positive test anyway and tamiflu is only prescribed to those that are in risk groups.
    The only thing that we took was some tylenol for the fever, my kids never got sick enough to need anything, the baby got antibodies from my breast milk and i pumped for my toddler (doctors advice) so that he too could get the antibodies from me. It could be a coincidence but i am convinced that the milk is the reason why they only had a runny nose and no fever!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:43 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Try putting meds in chocolate syrup! It worked for my daughter. FYI SOL-U-Guard kills H1N1

Sorry to hear about your kids.

Moriah
    MLanglois7@cox.net
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 1:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009