is 36 an at risk age of having a down syndrome baby

remarkable1973

Asked by remarkable1973 at 3:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's ALWAYS a risk. Sure, the "riskiness" of it varies as you get older....but you know what else is a risk? Being too concerned with our child's appearance and/or disabilities to love them for who they really are.

People with Downs are people too.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The risk of downs syndrome increases dramatically after 35. You can (and should) be tested for chromosomal abnormalities

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Genetic testing will tell you about the statistical likelihood. You'll be offered genetic testing and counseling as part of your prenatal care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The risk does increase after age 35, but it is not the only factor. I'm sure your OB will offer testing to check for it. I personally wouldn't have it done, because it wouldn't matter to me, but it's your decision. Even if you wouldn't terminate, at least you would be prepared for a Down's baby.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• according to this page, http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/downsyndrome/l/bldownssyn.htm

your risk of having a baby with downs syndrome is 1/287. just to give you an idea of how it increases, the chances are 1/725 at the age of 32.

so chances are you will not have a child with downs syndrome but it is definitely a possibility. my mom had a child at 38 and my stepmom had a child at 36 and 38, btw.

congrats!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There is a risk for everyone. I'm thirty-five and the risk is 0.25 percent. Hardly a cause for the labels they put on us "advanced maternal age" women. I hate that term with a passion.

Go here for a real perspective: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T107400.asp#T107403

"Depending on how they are presented, these figures can be scary. If a doctor says to a mother, "At age thirty-five you have five times the chance of having a Down Syndrome baby than you did at age twenty," that would scare many senior mothers from conceiving. Here's how I present the risk factors to my patients who ask. At age twenty you had a 99.95 percent chance of not delivering a baby with Down syndrome; at age thirty-five your chances of not delivering a baby with Down Syndrome are 99.75 percent. Doesn't that figure sound more reassuring? This is why, in my opinion, the "thirty-five-year-old scare" is too young. Age 45? 97% of not...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• In perspective...people say, "the risk goes up dramatically". Yes, it does increase but it is STILL less than a 1% chance at the age of 36. I am pregnant with #4 at the age of 36 and was not the least bit worried about the chromosome issues (not just down syndrome but other trisomy conditions) associated with me being of AMA.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009