Does anyone think that missing 2 days of school is horrible?

Here's the situation: my stepdaughters live in Texas and we live in Connecticut. We only get to see them a couple of times a year, and we don't have much money. We are supposed to get them the week after Christmas, and their mother brings them out to us and we bring them back to Texas (their mother has plenty of money). Well all the flights on Jan. 2 and 3 were well over $300 each ticket and on Jan 5 the tickets were only $109 each. So I booked those. Yes, the girls will miss 2 days of school, but it's right after a vacation. Their mother is throwing a fit. The girls don't miss much school otherwise. Yes I should have discussed it with her, but in the past she hasn't been witchy about things like this. Am I wrong to believe that 2 days isn't too much, especially when we said we'll make sure they do the work here to be ready to hand in?

shannipoo714

Asked by shannipoo714 at 5:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If their school system is like the Chicago Public school system, absences can hurt their chances of getting into the middle or high school of their choice. You should have spoken to the mother before purchasing the tickets.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i dont think them missing school for two days is too much of a big deal....but not discussing this with their mother first was not the right move at all.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I hate to chime in but I am awake, I am one of those moms along with my son, whereas he has never missed a day of school. Your predicament is different then mine. Our goal is that he never miss a day of school (God willing), and he could get a $2,000 scholarship. But in your case I don't see the big deal. I understand your dilemma. Just try to work it out with her. Be kind and let her know what happened.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 6:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would not want my kids to miss two days of school. BUT, that said, I would be MORE upset that you purchased the tickets without even discussing it with me, and I think THAT is what she is really upset about. Also, I don't know her, so this may not apply, but my kids generally have perfect attendance every year. It is something that, although they don't talk about it a lot, they are very proud of, as am I. Is it possible that there is something like that going on?

I would apologize to her for not discussing it with her. If you are really concerned about the money, why not explain that the tickets were much more expensive and ask her if she can split the cost with you in order to get them back in time? If she won't do it and is still upset, I'd spend the extra money to get the back in time. You don't want her to start making things difficult over this.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 2 days isn't a big deal imo, but not discussing it with her was a big no-no. Just try to be polite and apologize. Just say, you saw the price and jumped at the chance, realizing afterwards the children would miss two days. I'm sure she's just upset you didnt discuss it with her, not that they'll be missing a couple days.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 2 days is nothing. Just tell their teachers ahead of time in case they're going to miss a test or something.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Two days is nothing. I wouldn't be upset if my childrens grandparents were keeping them 2 extra days. I would understand the cost of the tickets, those things cane be crazy expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think you should really honor their mother's wishes because school attendance, even only 2 days, is extremely important.
    How about letting her know your dilemna about the costs and see if she'll help pay and you can owe her the difference.
    If not, you really should do everything possible to get those girls back to their mom on time and in time for school.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I did send an email apologizing for not checking with her first, so we'll see what she says. She won't split the cost, she is already paying for 1/2 of their tickets, per court order. If it was a case of perfect attendance, I could see it, but it's not. She will take them out one or two days on occasion to go to Las Vegas or California. I mean, this is their father they only get to see twice a year, that wants to keep them 2 extra days. Maybe no one has had to live without their children, but it's really hard on my dh, myself and my two children not seeing the girls more often. And we can barely pay the rent, so going to Texas more is not an option. Thanks though
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009