I feel bad should I?

Ok my cat bites and i always pat him on the mouth not hard and say no bite.. Well he come up to me wanting me to hold and pet him and when i was peting him he bit me and scrached me so i wasnt thinking and throw him on the ground ... Did i do the wrong thing . He just hurt me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I've had dogs for so long that I never thought to switch my habits. When my kitten bit me, I'd close his mouth and hold it closed for a second. It took him about a week to understand it but he's got a serious need to chew on me so he'll test it out now and out a finger in his mouth, wait a second and then chomp down if I hadn't been paying enough attention to take my finger back. When he does that I move my finger to the back of his mouth behind his teeth. Doesn't hurt him or me and gets the point across that he needs to knock it off. He doesn't mean any harm by it. It's just his way.
    Tossing him off your lap when he bites you is a regular reaction. If you can stop yourself from throwing him and just put him on the floor or nudge him off your lap that'll get the same point across without the guilt you're feeling. My cats toss each other across the room so a push from me is nothing.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You did what any other person would do. Cat bites HURT. If I had a cat that constantly bit me, I would find it another home. JMO
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Your kitty needs to learn thats not ok, plus its a gut reaction when something bites you! Now if you then picked them up and threw them across the room I would say yeah. Just try to be more on your toes next time. When he bites put him in a time out just like a child!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• That remines me of my husband when me and my husband were asleep my cat a kitten at the time jumped on my husband and scratched him and my husband kicked him off the bed and he went flying. it was a reaction don't feel bad
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Don't feel bad, but you might want to look into physcal reasons for your cat bites. I have had quite a few and the only one that bit or scratch started after she developed arthritis. Once we figured out it was hurting her, we stopped touching her back and we a more gental with her and she stopped scratching and biting.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Throwing your cat down or hitting him is just going to make him more aggressive towards you. You are doing the exact opposite of teaching him not to bite. Try using a bottle of water(spray bottle) and spraying him when he bites. There are also sprays you can put on your hand that will deter him from biting because it tastes bad(bitter spray).
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 9:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i have done this to my cats on accident though and they r fine trust me...my kids also throw my kitties and get rough with them when there isnt no one in the room to watch them and it doesnt faze them my little cat has the same biteing problem nothing has worked for her..u cant pet or pick her up b/c she thinks its time to play and her way of playing is biteing and scratching i dont have any advice to give u to make him stop since im trying to figure it out my self a year later with my liile kitty maybe someone on here will suggest something i havent tried already
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Give the little shit away! He must not like you! Get a new one and try again. Adopt one then you can send it back if you dont like it.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• forevermom75...please tell me you are being sarcastic. If not, that's pretty shitty. I hope you don't have any pets!

If you are, its still not funny, but, from the posts lately, I can understand your frustrations.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You did the right thing in removing attention for biting. While throwing the cat might be a little harsh, a sharp "no" and putting it out of your lap is a very good way of making your point without doing any harm to the kitty.

That being said, biting is a common behavior when the cat becomes overstimulated. Some cats can't tolerate much petting at all, but do still want your attention. And, of course, talk to your vet. There could be a sensitive spot caused by a cut or even a tumor that you don't know about.

Good luck!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 11:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2009