Does it make me a BAD mom cause I don't attend PTA meeting?

I read something on here the other day. This women was trying to explain why someone was a bad parent. One of her examples was that this women didn't attend PTA meetings. I don't go to these meetings. My son goes to school every morning with his homework in tow, belly full, clean and nice clothes,teeth brushed and lunch packed by me. I don't see how not having time for PTA makes me a bad mom. What do you all think?

sara13178

Asked by sara13178 at 7:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • Oh and I volunteer as much as I possible can at his school. Field trips, classroom projects etc etc
    sara13178

Answer by sara13178 at 7:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't think that would consider you a bad mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• As long as you are involved in his school life and know what is going on, then no, you are not a bad Mom. Do you attend parent teacher conferences?? My guess is that you do because you make sure his homework is together and he is fed and clean. Don't worry about it.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes of course I attend parent teacher conferences...I'm not worried about it cause I do know that I am a great mom but just wondering why anyone would think ppl are bad parents cause the don't go to pta meetings. I don't think PTA defines anyone as a good or bad parent. I would rather be at home with my CHILD in the evenings to help with homework, and just spend time with him. He knows he is important to me and Guess what I don't have to go to PTA meeting for him to know this. Know that I am not against ppl who do attend PTA meetings but those who do attend have no right to judge me for not going!
    sara13178

Answer by sara13178 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There's no reason you should need to attend PTA meetings to be a good mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sara- take it from someone in education- if you send your child to school, ready to learn with any papers we sent home to come back then- WE LOVE YOU! We love for parents to be involved, but know people have younger kids, stressful jobs, crazy life.... what we want more than anything is a child that is loved and supported at home and arrives at school ready to learn. Anything over and above that is a bonus!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I also don't attend PTA meetings (on purpose anyways). They had the kindergarten program built into a PTA meeting, so I had to go to that one to see my daughter sing. Anyways, I volunteer in the classroom twice a week, do outside activities for the teacher, make sure homework gets done immediately upon getting home from school, not to mention all of our other activities like gymnastics, girl scouts and the fact that I have a preschool child too. I don't have time for one more thing on my plate. I know that I'm not a bad mom! The one PTA meeting that I went to, all they talked about was who was running for president and how they can get more money out of the parents. I'm not against the PTA, they do great things for the school, but we are being nickle and dimed to death with all these little fundraisers they have.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• PTA meeting attendance does not have anything to do with your parenting skills. That is just an ignorant statement
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I'm not stuck up and self-absorbed enough to attend our PTO meetings. They'd never let me in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I am not involved in our PTA if they actually did something productive for the school I would be involved. It is mostly women I graduated high school with that got picked on in school (very small town) and now they are getting thier revenge by excluding those that were popular in high school. I left high school many years ago and don't care to repeat that experience. I did speak up at the only meeting I went to and said isn't this about the kids and the school? I got a bunch of dirty looks because at my kids school the PTA is about the moms.

I am the room mom in my sons class and love helping when needed. My son is well cared for. We feed him healthy and nutritious meals. We give him a loving home with two parents that also love each other. We are good parents and don't make things that are supposed to be for him about us. I would wager many PTA moms are not very good ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2009