My 11 month old has had diarrea four four days now, I have been giving him regular whole milk for about 3 weeks now could the milk be affecting his bowels and should i switch him back to formula?

ejeljaem

Asked by ejeljaem at 7:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it could well be bothering him. I am dairy intolerant and diarrhea is one of the main symptoms of reaction to cow milk products (also bad breath, bloating, bad wind, abdominal pains...). Try a soya milk (they vary a lot though) or a soya based baby milk for a short time and see it his tummy settles? The trouble with diarrhea it indictates a reduced ability to digest food adequately and so means your experience a level of poor nourishment overall. Not good. He may adjust to the cow's milk though. Many do after a short time. So leave it the rest of the week adn then review and then try the soya instead OR no milk at all. If he's eating well he doesn't need it anyway. All the best xxx
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 7:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My daughter was a preemie and that's exactly what happened to her when we switched her. Her ped said it was probably her intestines still being a bit immature and he had us give her similac2 and around 18-24 mo we slowly began adding small amounts of milk to the formula. I.E.-3/4 formula 1/4 milk for 2 weeks 1/2 milk 1/2 formula 2 weeks and we continued doing that until we had her tolerating milk and he had us use 2% instead of whole.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my pediatrician said not to give whole milk to babies less then one year old. you are the parent and you can do whichever you want. I was also told that starting off with whole milk is not a good choice so ive heard. did you try 2% i dont know if it is better or not. when i was a child i couldnt even tolerate milk i would projectile vomit it.. i would definetly try soy or organic milk or lactose free milk might help also
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think that if you started on milk 3 weeks ago and also had been on a milk based formula before... it's not likely the milk that is causing the diarrhea.... probably a virus.
    Start your child on some yogurt daily, it has probiotics that will help with diarrhea.
    Don't give any fruit juice. And stick with foods high in startch... banana's, rice, apple sacue, toast (breads, crackers, cereal, noodles) , potatoes
    As long as your baby is drinking well and acting well the diarrhea isn't a big deal... if it lasts more than 2 weeks are gets really bad call your pediatrician
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i would cut his milk 1/2 and 1/2 with either formula or water maybe whole milk it to rich for him
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes and yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2009