When an 8 yr ds has a bad dream should talk about and put him in his own bed or let him sleep with you.

This only happened twice so not sure what to do.

momofzachjassop

Asked by momofzachjassop at 7:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That depends on what you feel is best at the time. Was it a truly terrifying nightmare? If so, I would allow him to crawl in the bed with me. Comfort your children while they are young, because believe me, you will miss the days you could snuggle with them.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My 9 year old rarely has nightmares, but when he does I let him crawl in bed with me and snuggle up. His nightmares are very vivid and it takes time to convince him it wasn't real.
    My daughter on the other hand is 5 and a drama queen, so I usually send her back to bed. "Mom I had a nightmare that my friend at school called me a name." Go back to bed...lol
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• when my oldest (who is now 22) had bad dreams around that age or maybe a bit younger I told him to take out his "dream remote control" and change the channel of his dreams just like he does with the TV. He liked knowing he had control and he never had a problem with bad dreams again......G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I usually talk to them about their bad dreams and what happened while it's still fresh in their mind. I can not tolerate kids in the bed (I don't sleep well with them there), so I lead them back to their room, let them talk out their fears, reassure them that they are safe and they drift off back to sleep before you know it. They reach their own conclusions about their dreams, I just sway them in a positive direction with reinforcement that it's just pretend.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We had some problems with scary dreams a while ago- so I started "scary dream kisses". My daughter gets kisses on her forehead one over each eye and one in the middle. This apparently works to keep the scary dreams away.- ALthough, now I think its just cause she wants the kisses! lol/ But every night she gets a bunch of kisses- in certain spots on her forehead. If I forget, she reminds me! lol
    jlaroux

Answer by jlaroux at 12:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009