What do you want to know about autism?

I'm putting together an educational session about autism. (I'm an occupational therapist) Because I have been doing this for so long, I have lost touch with what people want to know about it. The parents that I meet have already done their homework, and know what it is.
For those who DON'T have experience with autism or know much about it, what do you want to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• 1. When will people stop blamming everything?
    2. Will most of the parents feel stupid after blamming vaccines?
    3. Will they appologize to the parents they worried when they blammed it on vaccines?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 4. When will people realize its genetic?!
    Anonymous

• What does "blamming" mean?

OP - you should post this in Newcomers or the Cafe or in one of the autism-related groups. I'm sure there are many parents of newly diagnosed kids who would love to provide you the information you seek or maybe one of the ''veterans' could tell you how they felt when they first found out and how now, looking back, what would've been the most valuable information to have in the beginning..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Um Anon...the first one with the "blamming"....you do realize that she is trying to educate people on Autism, not speculate about it. All of those questions you suggested are speculations about Autism. You can tell based off those questions you are bitter about non-vaxers and I am willing to guess you are one of those people who come on here kavetching about those non-vaxers and their "diseased" kids.

I agree with the sane anon, that you should ask in Newcomers or maybe in the pregnancy group.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Hey anon, when are YOU going to learn how to spell?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 1. the methods of diagnosis
    2. treatment options, i know it is called ABA but what is it? what do you do? examples
    3. implications for their future
    4. the range of the spectrum
    5. warnign signs... does it develop and worsen or does it just hit the kid full blown....
    why are some kids born with it and others develop it later..... vax?? mercury posioning connection? is there an age where the kid is old enough you know they cannot develop it.... i hear so much about kids who hit milestones and then regress into autism, like sids -- age 2 they dont have nearly the same risk of it... is there an age limit for developing autism.....
    6. why arent there meds for it?
    7. something about adults who have it and function in life with it undiagnosed.... that is interesting.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• OP here. This will be for the purpose of educating people about autism, not pushing another dogma. I base presentations on what the research states. And before I get blasted, I use good research not poorly designed crap.
    I appreciate all of the suggestions about posting elsewhere, and maybe I will, but the fact is that I have spoken to those with kids on the spectrum. I specifically wanted answers from those who do not have much exposure to or knowledge about autism.
    Amalia, thank you! If anyone else would like to add, please do. It will be helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009