Should I be concerned that my 3 year old cannot identify all her numbers 1-10?

I have been working on identifying numbers with my daughter who is now 3 years and 4 months for quite some time now and she is still not able to identify all her numbers 1-10. She can do it in order, but when I show her a random number, especially 6-10 she generally gets lost. The odd thing is she knows all her letters and sounds and has for quite some time. I've been trying to teach her by reading a numbers book and then writing down a number to see if she knows it. It really seems to me that she would have been able to learn this by now. Tell me honestly. Does this seem a little slow to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. I think she's fine....I think she knows all those things early anyway. So I think she sounds like she's doing awesome.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• some children just have issues learning certain things... just keep trying! im sure she'll get it : )

my 4 year old is Dyslexic, i can lay out numbers infront of him and ask him to put them in order and instead of going 123+ he puts the 321, and its difficult for him to put and write things normal. so every one is different, it doesnt make them slow or anything its just their own unique ways
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 8:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• nope she is fine!!! dont worry so much about this, at this age knowing love & feeling safe, & lots of play, natural exploration is best! :-) she may not be interested in learning them yet & thats OK! If you enjoy reading up on stuff see if your library has a book called "Einstein never used flashcards".
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My youngest son was 3 in June and he can't even count to 10, much less identify all the numbers. I'm not even thinking of it or working with him in any organized way. He'll be going to preschool next fall and if he's got it by then, that's good. And the alphabet? He doesn't even know what that is. Your daughter is ahead of the curve, don't worry.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think she's ahead right now. My daughter's over 2 and still cannot talk. But the Doc told me she is behind. Turns out she had impacted ears and now she can hear differently. So now she is learning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Please don't fret over this. Recognizing numbers on sight is a typically introduced and covered as a basic part of kindergarten - as such most schools don't expect their incoming kindergartners to have mastered it before starting school. There's nothing wrong with exposing your child to concepts at a young age - but keep it fun and stress free. The LAST thing you want to do is make learning a stressful thing for either of you!

She'll get it. I promise. Just remember that are there are many skills that require a certain set of developmental milestones and cognitive developments to fall into place before they can be mastered. Reading, for example, requires certain connections in the brain to be made first. For many children that's 5 or 6 years old. Writing requires specific fine motor skills and muscles to be developed. Not recognizing her numbers at 3? Not a big deal in the least.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:13 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't think it is a big deal, like another poster said some kids have difficulties learning certain things. My 2 1/2 is struggling with colors. She can match them, and if I ask her for something blue, most of the time she'll give me something blue, but if I say what color is this? she either gets mad or says green.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Nope. Don't be concerned at all. She'll get it in her own time. It's not slow at all. 3 and 4 year olds are still really young to be sitting there and learning things - so just keep playing with her. Do you have a game with a spinner? When she spins, ask her what number it is. This idea that kids need to know the quadratic equation and Einstein's theory of relativity before Kindergarten is a recent development and pretty flawed.

Don't stress it at all and just have fun with her. She's shown you that she can learn, just let her do it in a fun way in her time.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son was slow to grasp colors...I had him tested and he is not color blind. But he knew shapes...like rombus and oval etc...go figure, we all learn differently and at a different pace. Keep working with her...she will get there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• At 3? No that's fine.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009