What happened at your last visit before your due date?

My appointment is at 10 today, I am due tomorrow. At your last visit did you get an idea of when you will deliver? OR If they are going to induce, when?
What can I expect today?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If they don't plan to induce - will they say how long past your due date they will allow you to go?
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Usually they will let you go 2 weeks passt your due date but your last appointment will pretty much be the same as the others they will weight and measure you check for dialation and that is about it.
    They may talk to you about signs of labor and how you are feeling.
    They wont induce tho unless it is needed.
    Your almost there congrats hun!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• They stripped my membranes and she told me that she thought that I was going to have a big ol' baby. She said at least an 8 pounder. He was 9 lb 9 oz. She asked if I wanted an epidural or had thought about it. I told her that I just wanted to see how things went bc it was my first and I didn't know what to expect.

My appointment was on a thursday morning-I went into labor that night-my due date was that saturday-I ended up with an emergency c section sunday night. It was a LONG weekend.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• oh- my doctor told me that if I didn't have him that weekend-they were going to induce that monday because I was hypertensive and my heart was swelling.
    JennRN09

• I'm 38 weeks and have another appointment today. I've been asking each of my different doctors how far past they will let me go. They all said a week. They also said that if I don't have her by my due date, they will talk about inducing. She is supposed to be big, but who knows. I would ask your doctor how late they will let you go.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well you can ask them any questions you want. they checked me, but you can ask them to or not to, whatever you want. they won't have any idea when you will go into labor. they went ahead and schedule me for a week later, at which time i would have been a little over 41 weeks, but i had my son at 41 weeks so i didn't make that appointment! if you are past 40 weeks they might talk induction but it's all up to you about whether you want to do that. i mean you can't say you want to unless they agree, but you can tell them you don't want to.

since you are not even 40 weeks yet, they will probably just schedule you for a visit in a week. but ask them anything you are wondering about. they know you are anxious! we all are by that point!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I use a midwife, but even if I did use an OB the same things apply.

I don't get checked because dilation and effacement tell a woman nothing. Because every woman is different, labor doesn't behave like a text book. Some women are dilated for weeks, and other women remain tight and closed until they are well into labor and dilated very quickly.

I am in charge of my decision so "let" isn't in my vocabulary. No one "lets" me do anything. They can make a reccomendation and I can then make a decision to agree or decline!

I would not allow any talk of induction unless 1. I had a serious health issue 2. My 42 week was full and complete. And after 42 weeks, I'd choose monitoring for health and a wait and see. A due date is NOT an experation date. The range of normal human gestation is from 38-42 weeks. That means some of us go before 40 and some of us go after. Both perfectly normal..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There is also no way to really estimate a babies weight. Estimates are NOTORIOUSLY off. Also even the ACOG and WHO do NOT reccommend induction for "suspected" big baby -- they reccomend allowing labor to progress normally as there is no increase in a better outcome for the mother or baby by rushing. An EDD is a guess that can be way off!

You can talk to many women on cafemom who were pressured into an induction for "big baby" and the ended up with a 6lb or 7lb baby. And just because a baby is "heavier" than a 7lb baby doesn't mean they are bigger. Babies are just like the rest of us. Some heavier babies are built like torpedos...and others are chunky. 8 or 9 pounds is heavy NOT big.

What is MOST important is giving the head time to mold and the baby time to turn in the canal, AND that the mother isn't confined to her back. Natural labor positions increase the pelvic outlet by 33%!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• At my last appointment with my son my membranes were stripped, I was 39 weeks, had my son the next day. With my daughter I had my membranes striped AND had induction set up because I had High Blood Pressure, I was 4 days away from my due date
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Same exact stuff they'd done every week all month.    ;-) 
    The "due date" is the mid-point of the 4-week average due period.
    It's just an estimate and not an eviction date.

Knowing I could go a few weeks longer, the appoointment was the usual:  checking blood pressure, checking heart rates, checking pee (I think), fundal height, palpating.

No checking cervix cause we know that tells nothing useful~  don't want bacteria up there, anyway.

So I would anticipate more of the same.

You mentioned getting induced~   if you are fine and baby is fine there is no reason for that.   Why add UNnecessary risks?

Your baby WILL come whenever the time is exactly perfect. 

Stay strong & confident~  and distracted.   ;-)   You can do this.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2009