How to deal with a pushy, noisy, bossy sister in law?!

My SIL is coming for a visit from California in two weeks. She is extremely overbearing and likes to tell me what to do with my baby. Ok she has 3 kids, but I am 43 and I think that I am perfectly capable of making decisions about my baby. What do you guys think the best way to "handle" her is? I cannot be ugly to her as much as I would like to. Oh she is appalled that my baby is not eating ceral yet at 4 months! And I believe that will be the issue she pushes when she gets her! Arrgh!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 9:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For the "big" things (you know the things we all argue about on cafemom)... make sure you have done your reseach on why you do what you do so you can just tell her you know what you are talking about.
    Other things just be like... well this is the way we do things. OR give her ideas a chance... maybe they'll work for you.
    I assume her know it all pushiness is really her way of trying to be helpful and share her mommy knowledge.... so try not to take it personally
    Good luck! Try not to kill her LOL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Just smile (knowing she will be gone soon), thank her for her sage advice but tell her that you'd rather try your way. She had her turn at bat and now it's your turn to do it your way. I'm older than you and had 3 kids and 9 grandkids and I agree with you. Not all babies have to eat cereal at such a young age. Stick to your guns but just tell her you appreciate the input.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Just smile and say thanks for the tip but for now her Doctor and I have agreed that this is what is best for her at this point. But I will keep that in mind.....
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I know what you mean. My MIL is the same way. Just tell her that not every baby is the same and doesnt need to start things at the same time. If she brings up the ceral tell her your reasonings why to wait, and maybe ask her why she thinks your LO should be on it already. Just remember every child is different and every parent is different
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• when she says something like Oh I can't believe your baby isn't eating cereal, say "yeah, I know other people think its ok or do it but I don't want her to try it yet" you don't have to be ugly but technically she's being ugly to you, just tell her bluntly. No, I am not ready to try that yet, this is my first baby, I want to do things I think will be right for her, I know you have 3 kids but this is MY 1 kid...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You could always use "WHAT MY DOCTOR SAID....... and that is what I am doing. Don't be afraid to tell her it is your child, YOU have to stand up for your baby & how you want to do things. Otherwise you will walk in & she will be giving YOUR baby oatmeal! My dd did not eat cereal until 8 months. I EBF'd and she was a preemie, but very healthy.├é┬áHerdoctor said there is no reason a healthy baby needs to eat cereal until the baby shows interest in you eating. Like watching each bite, leaning towards your food while you eat, and even trying to grab it! lol

texanmommy

Answer by texanmommy at 1:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009