Not sure how to say it.....

I'm pregnant, due in Feb. I've been waiting to tell my kids (7 & 8) that they are going to have a little brother or sister. I've decided it's prolly time to do that but I'm not sure how to say it. I know they'll be excited but will also have a ton of questions i'm sure.
What is a fun way to let them know?
How did you tell your child or children that a baby is on the way?

janeenee

Asked by janeenee at 9:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• buy them a big brother or sister shirts
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• im a*
    PURPULbutterfly

• Why not have a mini party and decorate the cupcakes with baby items. Then when they get home from school or what-not, they are surprised and you can all sit down and discuss any concerns that they have. Make it a congratulations party for them getting a new sibling. Kind of like a baby shower but a big brother/sister shower.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Cute idea, Jademom07! My dd was 7 when we told her that she was going to be a big sister. We did a treasure hunt around the house where I wrapped up pink and blue onesies, 2 stuffed bunnies, one with pink ribbon and one with blue. Also some little trinkets just for her, stickers and markers, and I found a book at my local Borders that was aimed for older kids about Mom having a baby. It is a great book, it starts at conception (not the actual sex though), and goes through the 40 weeks showing the baby's size and development. We referred to it often through the pregnancy so she would have an idea of what was going on. By the time that dd had opened the second onesie, she said, "We're not having a baby are we?" It was great that she had figured it out, expect your kids to be a little overwhelmed and full of questions at first. Keep them as involved as possible, even take them to an ultrasound if you can. Congrats!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 10:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• probably not the best way to do it, but we showed my dd the pregnancy test and she said "oh wow, does this mean your having a baby? we said yes and she was thrilled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We took her to my first sonogram. I kind of regret doing it that way though. I thought the baby would look like a baby, and she didn't yet. It was a little too overwhelming for my dd I think. She was 4 at the time. I bought her a big sister book and answered all of her questions as best as I could.
    ihatenames

Answer by ihatenames at 3:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• TELL THEM TO FEEL YOUR BELLY... AND SAY DO YOU FEEL THE BABY..... IF THEY SAY NO SAY WELL IT'S IN THEIR AND YOUR A BROTHER AND SISTER... OR ASK THEM DO YOU WANT A BROTHER OR SISTER... THAN GO FROM THERE!!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• SORRY I READ IT WRONG THEY ARE 7 AND 8 OOPS JUST FORGET ABOUT THE BELLY THING....
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009