what can a ten year old girl voluneeter?

does your kids volunteer? what are they doing and how old are they...

thanks.

tiggerneeyore

Asked by tiggerneeyore at 9:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Mine are older, but my youngest son volunteers at the library, and at an elementary school. One of my sons was really good at math and volunteered to do homework help with younger kids after school.

We've also done projects. Putting together gifts for an Indian mission one year, making favors for meals on wheels one year, collecting canned food for a food drive from all of the neighbors one year.

A neighbors daughter volunteered at the animal shelter to walk dogs and bathe them one year.

Good luck, I think it's so important to teach kids to contribute to our communities, and to see more than just the way that they live.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would suggest her school first. Talk to the her teacher, guidance counselor (maybe they have peer leaders), or even the principal. I also agree with "ohwrite" the library is a good one. Also try your local government, churches, or soup kitchens. Good luck with finding a program.
    KEBaker

Answer by KEBaker at 9:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Before I married and had my son, I volunteered at the nursing home where my mom works. It's only for a couple hours going on outings or different things. Ask the activities director at a local nursing home.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We are lucky to have a community center close by. They have a senior program and other events that kids can help with. Is she involved with Girl Scouts or Rainbow? I used to volunteer at the school library when I was in Elemenetary school. When it came time to discard the old books I got to take them home BOXES AND BOXES, my mom was not too thrilled but didn't tell me I couldn't have them. I still have most of them!

I don't know your child but I wouldn't be confortable having my 10 year old volunteering at a soup kitchen or shelter unless you were supervising the whole time, nobody can guarentee that they will have their eyes on your child the whole time.
    Yimpulsiveme

Answer by Yimpulsiveme at 1:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• sure they can my lil sister is 10 and she voluneeters at the libary or even at school after school
    LILMAMA102206

Answer by LILMAMA102206 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My dd started volunteering at age 9 almost 10 at a nursing home. She volunteered just for 1-2 hrs and would help read to older folks and with the companion dog that came in to visit the elderly. I just started volunteering there myself a few weeks ago. I help with kids and elderly when they come in to read to them and w/the companion dog too. It's good to give back!!
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009