"Forbidden Foods" - Why????

This is my second pregnancy and I am well aware of the foods that we preggos are supposed to avoid - feta and certain cheese, deli meat (esp. turkey), certain fishes, and - the one that hurts me the most - sushi. I understand the reasons for these restrictions, but I have to wonder ---- Didn't our mothers and grandmothers eat these foods??? There weren't the same restrictions then, right? We all turned out OK. And how about the rest of the world? Do they have the same restrictions? Is a pregnant woman in Japan not allowed to eat sushi, or is it just American sushi? Can pregnant women in Greece eat feta??? I'm just curious what other people know about this, or what their opinions are on it. And, BTW, I WANT SUSHI!

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Really??? I didn't avoid ANY of those foods when preggers, I age feta and deli meat. I don't know what you've been reading but throw that book away. As far as sushi goes, it depends, it it's just the california rolls I don't see a problem, maybe it's just the raw fish
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I ate deli meat while pregnant. Mostly ham though, but i believe i had some turkey. I got lucky on the fish things because I hate fish.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with you and I ignore most of that crap. I personally WOULD stay away from seafood, but really, I stay away from seafood anyway. Too many people get sick after eating it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I ate the same as I always did. I did limit fish but still had it a couple times a week. I also ate rare steak actually craved it. I would just use common sense. I would think things like soda and processed foods would be worse for a pregnant mom than more natural foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• TUNA is a forbidden food.

Our grandmothers didn't have the wide variety of foods that we can find today.
    Our generation eats lost of preservatives and additives and transfat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I'm not sure about all of the foods you're talking about, but I will say that I hear people say all the time "our grandparents didn't have refrigeration....& we survived, or our grandparents used this or that & we survived". Well, sometimes I think we're the lucky ones. Everyone didn't survive. The mortality rate of babies back then was higher than it is now, & so was the rate of mothers who died in child birth. People died younger years ago as well. We know things now that we didn't know then, & actually do make a difference in our lives.

As for feta cheese and lunch meat, I don't know about that. Raw sushi, probably not a good idea, I'd ask the doctor about cooked varieties. Other fish probably due to mercury levels. I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, but I pay the doctor for his knowledge, if I don't trust him/her, then I'd go somewhere else.

Good luck, and after the baby is born I'd go out and celebrate with sushi!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• you know, i have always wondered the same thing. As far as the sushi goes, they just don't want you to eat raw sushi.. my doctor said any sushi that is cooked is just fine. I ate what i wanted, just in moderation. I think moderation is the key... to much of anything isn't good. So go out and get your self some deliciously cooked sushi and enjoy your self!!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I am actually avoiding all of these foods during my pregnancy. The deal with feta and soft cheeses is that these are not always pasteurized and might be more likely to give you an infection (I think listeria is the big one). If you buy it at the grocery store and it says pasteurized, the risk is far less. For the fish, is is again infections, but also the mercury content. Mercury can cause toxicity to the baby's nervous system. It's ultimately up to you, but just remember that when you are pregnant you and a non pregnant person might both eat contaminated food and you will get very sick and the other person will not. You are more prone to infection now and it can have serious consequences for your baby.
    HsaysNO

Answer by HsaysNO at 10:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I do agree with you, but I think the reason they have restrictions on foods is because they have linked it to particular cases in which it harmed the baby. Even if it only happened to one or two people, I think I would rather know the risk so I can choose if I want to avoid the foods or not. Also, I think they put alot more chemicals in foods now then they did back in the day. I have had the occasional turkey sub and feta cheese. Plus, now that I'm 38 weeks I just found out they say to avoid alfalfa sprouts (if I spelled that right) because they house bacteria. It seems like there is something new everyday.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Most of our grandparents didn't eat deli meats or feta cheese. As our diets and access to food has expanded, so has our knowledge about what we should eat. And I think there probably were a lot of developmental issues and delays that were just never diagnosed or linked back to pregnancy. The issue isn't usually if baby will survive or not, but how that baby's long term health and mental development can be impacted by mom's choices during pregnancy. I don't just want my baby to survive, I want to get my baby off to the best start possible. So I do follow most of the guidelines and dietary restrictions. It's only for 9 months, and not having a couple particular foods I enjoy is really the least of the pregnancy discomforts and irritations for me.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2009