Are most of Americans obese because they eat out most of the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Thats a huge reason and I wonder how come no one has blamed the fast food business lately.
    All this stuff about personal responsibility all of a sudden. Hmmmm
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes and they make bad choices when choosing foods. They need to eat more fruits, veggies and fish. And less breads, sugars and processed foods.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 10:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• That, and all the processed foods instead of cooking from scratch, and all the pop, and all the artificial sweeteners, and that whole never exercising more than to find the remote or carry the McDonald's bag from the minivan to the house.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think its a variety of reasons, cheap fast food, cheap processed foods, not enough exercise, portion sizes are absurd....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think americans are obese because of many many reasons. We work so much and stay so busy that eating out is quick and easy ( and unhealthy). There is no time to or place (affordable) to work out and exercise. Even in the store the least healthy food (Hamburger helper , hot dogs, chi[ps, and gummies) is way cheaper then healthy (apples, oranges, many ingredient foods) food. I try to feed my kids healthy, but I KNOW that on bad paycheck weeks we are going to not eat as healthy. I also think kids dont get out an RUN around enough because of all the crazies that have to be coddled instead of punished. There are SO MANY contributing factores besides eating out! But its definitely a contributor.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think NP hit the proverbial nail on the head.

I would like to ask though that we please remember that this isn't the case for all overweight people. My sister, who is in her mid 30's has rheumatoid arthritis. The meds she takes have put a lot of weight on her. Without them though, she would be in a wheelchair. Please just remember when you see someone overweight that it may not be too many trips to McDonald's and laziness.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 1.Lazy
    2.Not able to make decisions
    3.More interested in putting their money in self gratification immediately rather than long term healthy choices
    4.Adults now are bascically big children who were raised by parents who were children of divorce. These kids were raised on takeout and prepared foods.A frozen box of fish sticks IS dinner to most adults these days. Nobody can peel a potato or slice a carrot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Please just remember when you see someone overweight

Aside from that, I wish people would remember that what takes so long to put on takes just as long to come off. When I was losing the bulk of my weight, I'd lost 120 lbs already, and had the misfortune of having to walk through the mall to get something. People have no idea what it is to hear people making fat jokes when you've lost that much but still have more to go. If there's ever anything to make you wonder why the hell you're bothering and think about giving up, that will do it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Momof..I disagree with the cheaper thing. I cook from scratch and I find it much more economical. You have an initial investment in basic ingredients and after that you shop/stock up on sales.

Last night we had grilled pork chops from a whole loin that I got for $1.49 a lb..that is cheaper than hamburger, rosemary roasted potatoes ($1.59 for a 10 lb bag and rosemary from the garden) and green peas(can bought 2 for $1.00). Cost for the entire healthy meal was less than $3.00.

Tonight it is meatloaf, mashed potatoes, roasted beets and zucchini brownies..it will be less than $4.00 for the meal. It takes some advance planning and very careful shopping. My family spends less than $400.00 a month for a family of 4 and that includes 2 growing boys!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It does seem that people not only eat out more often intsead of cooking good meals at home but they have something in their hands,drinking or snacking all the time, while walking,driving,shopping,etc. WHat goes in stays on your body as fat. And it doesn't martter what kind of medications you take, it is still the amount of food you eat and the kind of food you eat that puts on extra weight. AND a lack of exercise keeps the fat on you. So-eat less and move more.It is that simple.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2009