Is period like cramps a sign of labor?

I will be 38 weeks tomorrow, and I have been having cramps in my back and stomach. Is this a sign of labor? How long will it last? I've been like this since last saturday. My doctor wanted to break my water yesterday but I wasn't dilated at all for him to do it.

weaselkim

Asked by weaselkim at 10:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are a lot of things that ramp up into becoming labor~ so those cramps could be a sign that more things are coming. :-)

How do you feel about having your water broken artificially ("AROM")? Are you familiar with the term "Pushed Birth"? I ask because AROM is not needed and has risks. If your body & baby aren't ready for birth then you can complicate things with rupturing.
    And it can be very nice to birth without the water breaking-- nice for baby especially. :-)
    Let me know if you'd like info about AROM.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• could be ...but it also could be a simple...bladder infection..but i did have back pain when i was in labor....doc ..should check you out..
    drink lots of water...they can cause contractions too ...

i had to have c-sections...so............i like when the water breaks..its a like a shower for the lil bundles..my babies came out so clean..no blood at all.

good luck dear! ..keep me up dated now i am....nervous lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Don't let them take you at 38 weeks if you don't need to!! Please! They did it to me, he could have stayed in a little longer I think. He was 38 weeks and had to stay in the NICU for awhile. I didn't get to take him home. There is no true way to prove when you actually conceived so their calculations are based on measurements and statistics. Only your body knows when it's time. Check out my nicu pics! And the answer to your question, I had those cramps from 32 weeks on out.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Make sure you keep him informed if the pains get worse. I went from 1 to fully dilated within a 2 hour span. And only started having really bad cramps in the last hour. My OB had told me my contractions were consistent enough for me to be admitted and sent me home. Also be watchful when taking a hot shower or bath.

Congrats, by the way. Do you know the sex? Or will you be surprised?

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• mine went from cramps to full blown labor pains
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Everyone is different. But I can tell you from my own experience that Im having right now. Im 36 weeks 2 days. I have had period like cramping really bad the past couple weeks. Until Tuesday night when I started getting what I thought was BH contractions. Went to doctor and Im in labor, dilated 2 cm. My contractions are 20 minutes apart and not progressing so it may take a couple weeks of this hell before I get anywhere. But YES the period like cramping could be a sign that labor is on its way very soon! I would talk to your doc. and def. keep track of all your cramps/contractions. Good Luck. Hot showers, somewhat help relieve the cramps.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 11:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• COULD BE. PLACE YOUR HAND OVER YOUR TUMMY IF ITS GETTING REALLY HARD AND AT THE SAME TIME YOUR FEEL LIKE YOUR ARE HAVING CRAMPS THEN IS LABOR.ALSO COUNT FROM THE TIME YOUR TUMMY STARTS TO GET TIGHT TO THE TIME YOUR NEXT CONTACTIONS STARTS SO U KNOW HOW PART THEY ARE. GOOD LUCK
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009