does these measurements sound healthy?

I just measured myself, I am 42, 35, 40/41... I am about 5"5, about 175 lbs, and a size 14 in pants... I did a bmi test online and I am just under the "obese" line... but do these measurements sound healthy in general? I am physically active and eat healthy...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Health

• If you feel good, have good health(no chronic conditions like diabetes, etc), and don't get tired or sick easily, you're fine. There is a lot of noise about how we should all weigh right in the middle of that range on the chart, but as long as your body is happy and you feel good, you are your ideal weight. My dad has diabetes, and his doctors keep trying to make him lose more weight, but if he gets to their goal, his blood sugar shoots up again, and he starts to feel really sick and tired fast. So, moral is, if you are feelin' good, stay there. If you're not feelin' good, change it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Are you healthy? Measurements are just how wide you are or where fat deposits. I'm I have very wide hips...I don't know the measurements though...but I am relatively healthy in regards to my weight, I don't have any "weight induced" ailments
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well yes I do feel good, but I know i'm not my "ideal weight" . it seems like my physical activity is only toning me up, not decreasing my weight. I have remained 175'ish for quite some time now but have decreased in pant size...SO told me perhaps my toning up has gained a lot of muscle, which weighs more than fat, but I think he was just trying to make me feel better lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• For a woman, as her waist measures above 35 inches the greater the risk for heart disease, hypertension, diabetes etc. The list can go on. BMI is outdated. For a more accurate idea of your risks and how healthy you are you measure your waist, and your hips, and divide the waist over hips, if the number is above .9 you are considered at risk therefore unhealthy. The ideal number is below.8.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well i'm just concerned because of the "higher risks" I am making for myself since I am heavier than I once was... I am a worrt wart lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• yes I did the waist to hip ratio..it is about .88 =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I just divided my waist over hips...and got 7...yay!...I feel healthier now...just wish my hips weren't do dangone huge.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• OP here my bmi is 29.1 (30.0 and above is obese)...I am seriously like...sooo close to being barely obese, but at least i'm not "quite" obese
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• For the last 4 years i have been in the obese or severe obese category, well up until Dec/Jan. But I have been very healthy, active etc. My labs and other tests always came back great, that of a healthy person in their 20's. And that always seemed to baffle my phys. I don't really know what my measurements were, but I wore a size 26 pants and was a 44 in bra, I was at my biggest 360 at 5'10"! yea huge, but over all healthy. Naturally I would get a little winded, but it took a while to get there. Anyway, my point is, those are just measurements. Health depends on how your lab work, blood pressure, etc come back. If they come back good and you eat well and are active, then you might very well be healthy. if that makes sense..
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 11:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I must say that now I am 246, still obese, but also 9 months preggers. but still perfect health!
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 11:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009