What's going on in Austin?

AUSTIN — City and county leaders along the Texas-Mexico border, responding to Gov. Rick Perry’s plans for a border-area deployment of Texas Rangers, on Wednesday challenged Perry’s suggestions that the region is being overwhelmed by narco-crime from Mexico and called for greater cooperation between the governor’s office and local officials.

"Your remarks, if accurately reported, create a public impression of lawless hordes overrunning the border region and do not reflect our collective experience," Eagle Pass Mayor Chad Foster, chairman of the Texas Border Coalition, said in a letter to Perry.

"While each of our communities has their own unique issues, being overwhelmed by criminal elements from Mexico is not one of them," Foster said.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1617279.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't lived in TX too long, but from what I have heard is that while there is always more crime on the borders of Mexico, this particular move to send Texas Rangers to the border is to rally more support for his run for re-election. KBH is going to challenge him, so he needs to do something that is important to voting population of Texas.

I wouldn't underestimate the need for help along the border though, as some of the most dangerous places in Texas are along the TX / MX border (Laredo / Laredo Nuevo for instance).

Personally, I think it's a politician playing politics, but it's working out for the people that he serves so I am fine with that.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• a public impression of lawless hordes overrunning the border region

If you read other reports, of ranchers being afraid to leave their homes at night, tons of trash deposited along trails the migrants pass through, area schools overcrowded with children driven to school daily from their homes in Mexico (outside the school district--never mind out of the country!), kidnappings, murders, drive-by shootings, and other crimes going on and authorities unable to control the mess because they never know if they are dealing with foreigners from another country or our own home-grown a$$hats, the reports would seem to be true.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• What's your issue Sweet-a-kins?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Are you taking offense to Perry's deployment of Texas Rangers or are you taking offense to a mayor's disagreement with his actions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

No, I'm wondering what's going on there. The county leaders are saying he is exaggerating the situation...I am not from there, I have no idea who is correct

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The Texas/Mexico border has had issues for a LONG time now, as far back as I can remember anyway. The Texas Rangers are a law enforcement group so it's not like he's calling out armored tank battalion with combat air support or something. LOL
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 1:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

Whether they want to admit it or not a large amount of border cities revenue comes from illegals so they're going to object to any kind of reinforcement of the border that's going to stop the flow of illegals into their towns. I personally think the border issues are a very large threat to our national security, but hey that's just my opinion.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 1:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Whether they want to admit it or not a large amount of border cities revenue comes from illegals so they're going to object to any kind of reinforcement of the border that's going to stop the flow of illegals into their towns. I personally think the border issues are a very large threat to our national security, but hey that's just my opinion.

So do I , that and the unprotected ports

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I am from Texas. City police and local sheriff departments cannot protect the entire area. There are VAST areas of land that either aren't populated or are sparsely populated.

I personally have a great deal of question for the local officals saying they don't need help. The CITIZENS of the area say differently.

On a side note, my sisters FIL is a warden at a Texas prison and according to him they have more illegal prisoners than legal ones. This is the case in his prison. Others may be different.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009