Can teething cause a diaper rash?

My daughter is 18 months old and she is getting in some side teeth on the bottom. It seems like every time her tooth is bothering her she gets a diaper rash. I'm wondering if there is a link or if she may be allergic to something. I've been using Triple Paste and it helps, but the rash comes back whenever her tooth is hurting.

lvaughn26

Asked by lvaughn26 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yup it sure can, teething can also cause yeast infections
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Diaper rashes show up for my lil man when he teethed. Right now, he's 28 months old and cutting one of his molars. Drooling like a faucet, cranky, wants to cuddle and very little appetite. We're just making sure he gets plenty of fluids in his sippy cup. His mood will go away after a couple days.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My nephew would get diaper rashes so badly every time he teethed that they would actually bleed. We noticed that our daughter got more prominent rashes when she was cutting molars. Teething can also cause a low grade fever, and what presents as ear aches. If you notice him tugging on his ears when he teeths, it may just be from the new teeth.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• yes and fevers
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Doctors claim no, they also say no runny nose, diarrhea or fever. I dont buy it. I think they just dont want us ignoring symptoms and ignoring what could be an infection. Anyway, my daughter has experienced all of these things while teething.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes, defo! They dribble a lot adn it makes their wee more concentrate, so the urea count is way higher. Urea is an irritant but also the natural bateria can grow more rapidly in it too. More urea = more irritation. More urea also = more bacteria = even more irritation. Try and bath her bottom so often as you can over the day (even holding her over the bathroom sink?) and give her some nappyfree time too. Creams are great but allowing her to completely dry out is even better, especially if it cracks and bleeds (poor thing). All the best xxx
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 11:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sudden thought. Try to avoid citrus foods and juices while she's teething/has a nappy rash too (including tomatoes)!
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 11:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Also, try baking soda baths. Just a sprinkle of baking soda, and let her soak for about 20 minutes.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Teething can cause diaper rash, diarrhea, blistery butt when pooping, upset stomach, ear infections or tugging on the ears, runny nose and fever. Todays doctors say no, but that's because they want you to bring them to the doctor. If you find any retired or practicing pediatrician who's like 60 or 70, they will tell you abso-freaking-lutely it can cause all of that.

Every time my kids had new teeth coming in, even now at 2 1/2 getting their big molars they get fever, diarrhea, and start tugging on their ears. That's how I always knew they are cutting teeth even before I can see the teeth break the skin.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My doctor says a lot of those things, the low grade fever, ear pain, diaper rash, discolored stools can all be caused by teething. And she is young. Like just out of med school. But, I have heard that a lot of doctors will tell you otherwise. If you are concerned, you should take him in to rule out infection, just in case.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009