Does going back to school for my degree make me a bad mom?

I am a military spouse that is currently disabled. I have an 11 year old son and a five year old daughter. I am a stay at home mom mostly because of my disabilities and the moving around a lot. However I am beginning to enjoy being a stay at home mom. There have been many benefits for my children and me. My son is learning disabled so being a stay at home mom has given me the time to work with him and the school a lot closer than I normally would have been able to do if I worked. I have always had a goal to get my degree in accounting and have started going online to school. There is a lot of work involved with school and at times I feel that it is taking away from time with the kids. Am I being selfish in taking the time to pursue my degree and not spending it with my kids?

Michele362

Asked by Michele362 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in

• Is it going to be a career you will do once your kids are older? Either way, I dont think so. You're doing it for you and everyone should do something for themselves. Plus It shows your kids how much school is imortant. Even mom's doing it!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I do not think that is selfish at all you just have to know how to balance your school and family time. your children need to feel good about you and they will if you feel good about yourself. accomplishing a goal is one hell of a way to feel good about yourself, you need to show your children that you can do anything if you try hard enough ....show them your determination
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't feel you are being selfish at all. I did the same for years, gave up my career for my kids. Now I harbor bad feelings, I should have continued. Go for your degree, it will do wonders for you, emotionally especially! Your kids might do better without mom being there 24/7! IMO..good luck!
    Tink122861

Answer by Tink122861 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No, your a fine mom. Good for you for wanting better for yourself and it also sets a good example for your children for their future too. I work full time, go to college, and cook and clean and all that good stuff. My time with my kids is precious to me. I know it will pay off in the long run, but it is hard right now.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• NO! If nothing else, you are better than most because you are teaching your kids how important a good education is.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• it is fantastic and shows your commitment to education

Answer by rkoloms at 1:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You are doing a great thing to make a better future for you and your children. If you can manage to go to school and take care of your family I think that's great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If you don't do this now you will regret it later. I never went to college and it is now out of my reach. I am so angry at myself for not doing that for me. You can take online classes and still be there for your kids. You can take night classes and still be there to make dinner and do homework... Besides what a great example fopr them to see you finish school! You could have family study time :0)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Thank you for all the encouragement. I just want to do what is best for my kids.
    Michele362

Answer by Michele362 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• it does not make you a bad mom, i think it makes you a great mom! mainly because you are teaching your children that it is good to continue their education. old people are going back to school to finish so why shouldn't you? i myself want to go to school mainly because my parents weren't allowed to even go to high school so therefore going to school is a great deal for me. =-D Good Luck!!!
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:31 AM on Jul. 19, 2010