Any ideas on how to solve picky eating?

I have a 6 year old daughter who just wont eat anything. Well she will eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches just fine. Along with other various things, but she refuses to eat other things. She wont eat dinner most nights and I have sent her to bed without it many times. So now if it is something she has decided that she doesnt like she tells me shes going to bed. We have tried taking her things away, grounding her, but it doesnt seem to have any affect on her. I really dont know what to do with her anymore.

darbyxcrash

Asked by darbyxcrash at 11:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've always heard not to battle over food... I think doing that too much may cause poor eating habits and even disorders down the road. I would just always serve something that she will eat, along with a variety of other things. Eventually she will try and like other things. Definitely don't punish her over food, IMO.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son used to be picky in eating, If the child is hungry enough they will decide to stop being picky and eat what is in front of them. Not saying to have them eat something gross, like liver, or anything distasteful, but if it is something decent enough, like a veggie, and chicken type dish.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 11:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My kids aren't that old yet. But I have seen friends allow their children to help do the grocery shopping. And then they allow the kids to pick out one new meal and help prepare it. Kinda gave the kids a chance to try something new and feel like mommy's big helper in the kitchen. I know I'll have to do the same. My daughter's 2.5 and wants to know and see what I'm doing in the kitchen. 
    Everything is "what you doing mommy" and "up please" so she can see for herself.  BOL

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well hell. Make it a rule that if she tries at least 3 bites, and just doesn't like it, she can have something else, but not pb&j. Perhaps if she tries these things, she may find she actually likes them, and eats them? I was going to say to make sure you aren't catering to her, but since you are doing that, maybe this will help. My inlaws would let my sister in law eat cereal all the time if she didn't like what they were eating because 'at least she was eating'. She is now 22, unbelievably thin, and only really eats cereal and hotdogs. However, she is still offering her children more foods, and she will continue to offer a food a couple weeks after it was rejected. So fortunately, she is not falling into that same pattern. Understand taht she will not starve. You do not have to give her exactly what she wants. So if she eats three bites, hates it, offer her something else that she normally doesn't eat either. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yea my house rules are if you won't eat it, you dont' eat anything. I would also make sure we had desserts the nights tht my children wouldn't eat. I wouldn't get mad at them either. Also I wouldnt' let her go to bed, let her stay up and get hungary, Let her watch you all eat ice cream or cake, and tell her that she made her choice. I'm not a short order cook.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My daughter (almost 6) is the EXACT same way.... she has about 10 "entrees" that she will eat and that's it. And furthermore if the food is not prepared exactly the way I normally make it she refuses. She loves turkey cold cuts but when her grandma bought a different brand than we get at home she wouldn't even take a bite stating "my turkey is oval and yours is round... I don't like round turkey!"
    I also tried telling her to eat what I serve or don't eat at all approach but she went a full 24 hours without eating before I gave in. I don't have any good advice but I know I liked knowing that I'm not alone in this battle so I thought you might too!
    If you find something that works please pass it on!! :o)
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We have set rules at our dinner table. What you take is what you eat, and if you don't like it, you need to eat as many bites as your age. (if your 6, you take 6 bites). If you don't eat, you sit and watch everyone else eat. If you're not eating, you are definitely not excused from my table. They know how to push, just remember, you are stronger, and you are the parent.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I like your rule midnightshadow2, on the age thing of eating. Will remember that.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 11:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would like to say that we dont cater to her. I didnt think it sounded like thats what we did, but apparently some of you think so. If it is something that she has decided to dislike before ever trying it she just doesnt eat. That isnt working and I dont like her skipping meals as often as she has been. That is all.
    darbyxcrash

Answer by darbyxcrash at 6:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009