How do you feel about putting TV's in a toddlers room?

My DD is 15 months old, and has been waking up EVERY night screaming her little head off because she is getting her molars. The only way I have been able to get her back to sleep the last four nights is by putting our portable DVD player in her room and turning on Happy Feet (her fave movie). I don't want her to get into the habit of needing a TV at night, and I'm not to hot on the idea all together, but since it seems to be helping ALL of us (me and SO actually get some sleep at night and it helps her get back to sleep) I thought it might be a good idea.. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it depends on the family and the kids it works for some and not for others.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• get ready to be bashed....imo it's a great idea if it helps her out while teething, your kid, your choice GL mama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If you take it out once she's done getting her molars, I see no problem. You'll probably be bashed, but it's your child, your house, and you know her and you best.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Your child, your decision... I wouldn't do it. It's just something I would have to change later (for instance I will never have my daughter sleep in my room). Some things I wont waver on, no matter how tired I am. You decide though, it just might be a more difficult battle later... Good Luck :)!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• our kids used to and it was only for movies, well now its broken.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Hi Hear you on that one my son is 2 and he watches tv in his room as well he watch Mousehouse and he likes it he'll sent down and watch it and just might go to sleep But my husban said something about Knocking his Tv Down to 30 min a day. I hear that makes a world of Diff. But at night I really don't seem the Harm in it.. And if you put on somethng they love i mean really love then good.. You know they can learn things . But Friend also told me too Open-up a Book can make a World if DIFF Too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Just for a while, but if she gets use to it, you'll have to leave it in there. And i think that's a no-no.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well we read to her at least 30 minutes every day, and she LOVES books. But just with this teething thing books do NOTHING. The TV seems to distract her from the pain. We have only been putting it on for 15-20 minutes until she falls asleep. Last night she woke up a second time and I had to turn it on again. We try to go without it, really we do, I was up with her for an hour the first time she woke up last night (12:30-1:30 am) and I have to get up to get ready for work at 5:30 am, and I know that you have to sacrifice for your kids, and I don't mind doing it AT all, but it seems like if this is a solution and it works for her then maybe it is a good idea. I don't want her to have to stay up all night in pain, and I don't want her to be sleep deprived because of it, either. -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My daughter is two, and she has a TV in her room, she got it for her first birthday from her grandpa along with a DVD player.

She only watches ONE movie on it a day.

The rest of the time if she wants to watch a movie its in the living room with the rest of the family.

I won't let her fall asleep with the TV just because I had friends who did that with their 3 sons and it went HORRIBLE for them and now they have to have the TV on for them all the time and one is 5 now.

But I don't see what's wrong with having a TV in their room. Honestly, if I need an hour of peace and calm I see no problem putting in an education DVD or Strawberry short cake or care bears and letting my daughter watch that. She does not have CABLE in her room or anything, and that will NOT be happening, period.

I say, your kid, your choice, whatever works for your family!
    PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 1:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009