If the mother consents, can I adopt my fiance's daughter, before he and I are married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, well, depending on the state and how long it is before you get married. Some states make you have to wait a certain amount of time and give the mother an opportunity to change her mind.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You would have to consult an attorney. I am not sure about that. I know a couple that got married strictly so they could adopt each other's sons. They each had a son from a different relationship and the other parents were no where to be found. They had been together for 5 years, not planning on legal marriage, but then decided to adopt the kids. So they got legally married. You would have to talk to an attorney about your particular case.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No... not unless dad wants to sign over his rights to the child to you first.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Why would Dad have to sign over rights? That confuses me.

I think you may be able to, but I am not sure. And I am certain it depends on how long Mom has been sure she wanted to sign over rights, and what state you are in. So you will need to talk to you lawyer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• OP here- i was confused about the comment about dad signing his rights over, too.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THE MOM WOULD HAVE TO BE SURE ABOUT IT?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Has she seen or contacted the child within the last 6 months? I know in the state of Colorado, you can get default abandonment after 6 months of no attempted contact. I am not sure if that helps you at all, but that is all I have for you.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• thank u mom1stepmom1- yes she has been regularly visiting her for the last 6 months. before that she didnt see her but 3 or 4 times in like 8 months. then it was only for an hour or 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We found out about that law the day after my stepson's mother made a reappearance after a year long absence. We were PISSED but should have done some research on our own. We just never thought she would show back up again. She walked out while everyone was at a Thanksgiving party the day after his first birthday, and no one spoke to her for a year. We really thought she was done.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• ooooh mand that's rough. i wish we had done something while she was out of the picture, but we thought she'd just fade further and further out...
    now its a mess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009