Can you substitute butter for margarine?

If so, are the amounts interchangeable? I am looking for a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie recipe. I've found several but a lot of the really good looking ones with great reviews use margarine. My boyfriend and his father, the consumers of the cookies, do not eat margarine because of all of the hydrogenated oils. Any suggestions? Thank you.

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes everything would be the same. One trick to keep them soft is after they are cooled, put them into a airtight container and put a fresh piece of bread at the bottom, under the cookies. Seal and within 24 hours, your cookies will be soft.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes you can use butter for the cookies. In other recipes you might not want to exchange one for the other. But the cookies should come out with a better flavor.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• bakingabsolutely and they will taste better too

Answer by admckenzie at 12:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have found with real butter cookies tend to spread a little more, and become a little thinner, so watch the cook time really closely.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Oh the bread is a wonderful trick. It makes for the best soft cookies!!
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• chemically, most margarines are practically plastic. use butter or Earth Balance

Answer by rkoloms at 12:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• one way to prevent cookies from spreading as much (like aurora said) when you use butter, is to slightly chill the dough first, and put it on a completely cool pan before placing it in the oven. in other words, let the pan cool completely before putting a new batch on it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• nothing to add OP but Im going to try tha bread thing, never heard it before I LOOOOOVE my cookies to be stay soft! lol
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I NEVER use margarine, especially not in my baking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2009