Midwife / waterbirthing after C-section

I'm looking for information on having a successful waterbirth via a midwife after two previous c-sections. I'm located in Cape Coral, FL and found a place but they won't do VBAC due to the potential risk of uterine rupture. (I've read studies saying that there isn't any difference in risk in uterine rupture between VBAC and normal births)
Do you think I should attempt to find a midwife that could help me with this or do you think I should have my baby at the hospital?

momofkearra

Asked by momofkearra at 12:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would find a midwife... I myself had an emergency C and would love to have a VBAC next time. I know they say the chances of uterine rupture increase with each C but I still think it is possible and you just need to find a midwife who will work with you. GL!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• find a midwife...you need to just find a center that has emergency c-section equipment available. i believe thats the criteria for a VBAC at most hospitals now.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Check out the VBAC Moms group on cafemom, there are Florida moms there, I believe. You might get some more help there.
    Are you wanting a home birth, birth center, or hospital birth?

The irony is that yah, there is a risk with VBACing but not as many risks as major abdominal surgery. I guess that's how it works when the surgeons are "in charge."
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• VBAC is a safe option. Good luck with finding the help you need.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• first I would talk with your doctor(s) that performed the c-sections to find out what type of incision they used. You can't tell the uterine incision by the belly scar. Depending on how they did the incision depends on you chances for VBAC and risks for rupture. Mayo Clinic has a good VBAC site to check out.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vbac/VB99999/PAGE=VB00002

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Try joining Birth Is Normal if you want to try giving birth at home with a midwife or giving birth at a birthing center. They might stear you in the right direction toward a waterbirth VBAC.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I was told after I had my c-section that there is only one Doc in Lee County that will do VBAC's... And that there aren't any midwives around here that will either... Dr. George! He's the one I'll be contacting when I get pregnant again if I still live here... Good Luck!
    mamastevens

Answer by mamastevens at 8:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• to me a VBAC is not worth the health of my child. That would be to scarey for me. Good luck and God Bless with whatever you choose
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• tattooedmomma23: I can understand not wanting to risk your child's safety, however there is not any serious risks when attempting a VBAC. The statistical evidence that I have found has shown that VBAC'ing is no greater of a risk for your unborn child than being a first time mother. In fact, having a repeat c-section without medical need is just as or more life threatening to you and the baby in utero. There are so many risks with ceserean that I was never informed of such as: bowel injury, bladderr injury, psychological trauma from drugs administered, etc... I was suprised to find out that some of my health issues with my bowels may be caused from my second c-section. (which i wouldn't have needed had they not given pitocin, which is not recommended for a VBAC'ing mother because of it's affects on creating abnormally strong contractions that can deprive the baby of oxygen and put added stress on the scar tissue of the uterus)
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:15 PM on May. 13, 2010