Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

about birth certificate and hospital paperwork...

Do I have to name a father on the paperwork at the hospital? (not married) I'm having my baby next month and I'm confused on how to go about things... the babys father has been absent through the entire pregnancy to the point where there is no comunnication at all between us. I think if I put his name on any paperwork or go after child support he's going to do all he can for custody ... I'm nervous and wondering if the state can make me name the father because I have had a medical card through part of my pregnancy... Any help appreciated- thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • You do not have to name a father on the birth certificate, but i would name him to make things easier in going after him for child support (which you SHOULD do, because it takes two to make a baby, and two should support one)

    However, you should know that if he really wanted custody of that child, he can go to court BC or not. All he needs is a DNA test, that little piece of paper doesn't matter.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • Actually in order for the father to be on the birth certificate he has to sign an affidavit of paternity, so no he doesn't have to be (and you can't put him on there anyway unless he is there and signs the paperwork). Regardless, though, if he pays child support or not he can file for custody. You need to go in and file for custody as soon as you have the baby because you'll need to have that security regardless.

    Answer by Tiera12 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • You don't HAVE to but it is probably a good idea if you want to get child support. It would depend on your state. Maybe call Social Services to see what they say. As far as getting custody-most states don't give custody to the father outright unless there is something wrong with you.

    Answer by jenree33 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • Tiera...
    Actually in order for the father to be on the birth certificate he has to sign an affidavit of paternity
    Not all states are the same. In Florida the father does not have to sign an affidavit of paternity.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • In west virginia if your married the mom can fill out the stuff for dad he doesnt have to sign nothing. but if your not married he has to sign it infront of the notry

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • If he is not in contact with you for X amount of days, you could plead abandonment as far as custody is concerned; you would have to check your state law.

    If you are going for child support, you will either have to name the father or claim not to know the father. In some states you cannot put a man on the birth certificate without them signing an affidavit.

    The state wants to know the father for child support, because otherwise they are assuming the burden for his child (if you get PA). Your medical care has nothing to do with that as the bio dad is not responsible for your medical care.


    Answer by happytexasCM at 1:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.