TARANTULAS in the yard! HUGE! How do I get them to stay out of my yard?

Is there something to spray? An old timers remedy? Please any advice because I am going crazy here. The one on my front door this morning was bigger than my daughter's head!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ok remind me NEVER go to texas...yikes i would be screaming into the night...i agree with the chickens, also so just to try maybe a bowl of hunny set out, i know here the wood spiders seem to like the smell get in to check it out and then cant get out and die...down fall the bowl is left for u..or maybe even some fly paper they will stick and die or get eaten by something...im so glad i dont have that proublm...i hate the wood spiders here and freak me out let alone a big huge hairy thing..omg god bless you your a stronger women then i..xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• idk about where you live, but when i lived in southern colorado, they would migrate through there. did they just show up or have they always been there? if they just showed up, it may take a couple weeks for them to disappear (and think it'll be getting cold soon so they'll dig and stay pretty much hidden in the ground). other than that, get some chickens and guineas....they'll eat anything that moves lol.....o and if you have chickens, an added bonus, fresh eggs!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I just moved out here to the Texas Hill Country region; I'm originally from SE Texas and we do not have this nasty animals where I am from. Apparently they are common here. Between the scorpions running around everwhere, and this tarantula I am afraid to go outside now.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• ya i'd say get birds if you have the room for them.....they also kept locusts, snakes, and centipedes down
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• ewww sick.. I WOULD NEVER LIVE THERE lol :) i hate spiders thank God for OHIO
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I live in Ohio also. I don't know how for the life of me you ladies living in the SW of the country deal with the snakes and spiders the size of frizbee's I live very near the MI state line. I would rather see a bear in my yard than that fuzzy nasty spider! Good luck to you!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The snakes don't bother me...alligators don't bother me. BUT a spider that literally is the size of a frizbee is just too much for this Texan. My dear neighbor killed it with a shovel and it even freaked him out!!!!! I will have nightmares for months now!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• you can put out moth balls around out side-they don't seem to like them. And get a big broom!
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 1:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 7 dust/spray
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• IM sorry that is awesome LOL Id catch them

Im not sure you may have to call someone to come spray or something.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009