What kind of grades to you expect?

If they do not get the grades you expect, what is the consequences?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 12:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My children are young, but later i will expect them to pass and do well. It is my job to get them help if they need it if they are having trouble. If the subject is of no intrest to the child, maybe a C is fine. But life isnt about barley passing. They will never get into college with a C. I also dont plan on being a parent who has to have the A+ student either. I think it puts alot of pressure on the kids. Just so they are doing their best, not goofing off is the key.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Ah, that's a tough question for most people but it's fairly simple in my home. A's and B's are acceptable grades, anything below that is open for a discussion/explaination. I won't hold it against my kids if there is a genuine problem when it comes to comprehending the subject. Unfortunatley if I find out that there is a lack of diligance in class, with homework, or overall behavior in school then that opens up a whole new set of circumstances. The kids *always* do homework as soon as they get home, no music, TV, iPods, Myspace, etc until it's done. Then it's playtime and they can do whatever. If they're grades are less than ideal then none of those things until there is improvment and I make them bring home text books/class work books at least twice a week for studying on their own. Itteaches them to be responsible for their own learning and this way they have an upperhand in class because they know the curriculum.
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 12:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• And I suppose I should explain a bit more, I say A's and B's are acceptable because ALL students start every class with an A and it's up to them to maintain it, by actually doing the work assigned and studying. It's easy to fail if you don't try and I don't give themthe option to not try with their education because it's *their* edication, it's their future and I'm going to make sure they take as many opportunities, have as many advantages, and open as many doors as I can for them until it's out of my hands.
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 12:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Instead of allowance, we pay for grades: $25-A, $10-B, $0-C, -$10-D, -$25-F.

My daughter knows that the better her grades are, the more options she will have for college.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Grades are important here, but they are not the end of the world. My oldest always struggles (he has learning disabilities) but I still expect and hope for at least C's, and for the most part that is what he get's with one exception....History he fails it everytime because of the amount of information he needs to retain. My next DD excels at english, and most of her other classes she maintained a B, but math was were she struggled, and she worked real hard to get the C's she got and sometimes the D's, my next is great at anything that involves math, but not good at all in english based subjects.

What I am saying is that it comes down to the child and what they are capable of, as a parent we should know them well enough to recognize thier faults and weakness's, not every kids will get A's and B's, but so long as they are putting thier all into it then that is what should matter.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I do not believe in punishing kids for "bad grades" All I ask is that they do their best. When they do and are awarded good grades they are rewarded... But I will never punish for grades. I don't think it's right.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• umm to say people with C's dont get into college is B.S. i got c's a few of them and i went to a good 4 year college got a good education and a great job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well, we expect them to maintain the grades we know that they are capable of having. Mine are both Seniors and they set their own pace way back in middle school on their own. My one son has a 4.0 solid cumulative and hasn't had a report card with less than straight A's since the 7th grade (he was homeschooled prior to the 7th grade) so if he brought home report vard with B's then we'd ask what was wrong and he'd lose privleges until he pulled back up to a 4.0. Not because we expect straights A's but because he's shown that HE is a straight A student. Anything less would be because he was slacking somewhere. My other son gets A's and B's. He's never gotten a C since the 7th grade and as with my other son, we don't expect A's and B's but that's what he's always gotten. My 21yo got B's and C's & my oldest was a B student and since they were consistent that's what we expected of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2009