How do I best help my nine year old son has ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) who feels bad about himself when he can't pay attention or do well in school?

He is smart but feels like there's something wrong with him because the other kids tease him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 11 year old daughter has ADD and was diagnosed in 2nd grade. She went through a couple of medications that helped for a short time but then started causing her major side effects. She had a hard time getting her class work done and would often miss recess which was very embarrassing for her. I stopped giving her the meds and put her on all natural supplements with her doctors advice. She is doing so much better and now gets her class work done and her homework doesn't take her forever. She is able to focus so much better than before. Is you son on meds for ADD?
    photomom226

Answer by photomom226 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Is he on meds for his ADD? If so, possibly his dosage needs to be adjusted or he may need to take an additional dose in the afternoon. My daughter is 9 as well and has ADHD, she takes a 15 mg dose with me in the a.m., and a 5 mg dose at about 1:30 p.m. to help her through the afternoon. Many kids at her school take 2 doses, you may want to ask his doc about this. Unfortunately kids make fun of anything that is different or that they are unfamiliar with, I wold just let your son know that LOTS of kids have ADD and he is no different than any of them. If the teasing gets out of control I would speak to the parents of those children, I did and things have gotten much better for my daughter.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my neice has add and she was doing really bad in school and when she didnt take her pills she would act up even worse....always getting paddled at school so the doctor gave us fake pills i think placebos and we let her take one before she went to school and she would have the best day ever and she is a very gifted student highest scores in her grade level...it was all in her head and she had heard the doctors and grandmother talking about it...very smart i think but used it to her advantage
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009