How can we teach our children not to hate or be racist?

I can't believe the moms on here who justify a child being beat up on a bus. Some moms said well he should have found another seat...there werent any other seats thats why he sat there. I dont think these kids are racist I just think they are bullys and need some intervention of some kind. We as mothers need to talk to our kids and let them know its not ok to make fun of some one or beat up on some one just because.

savvya

Asked by savvya at 12:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How? Live by example and be involved in toe kid's life.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree lovin but some of these moms on here are so mean.........
    savvya

Answer by savvya at 12:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• When I was in middle school we had assigned seating on the busses. Of course everybody bitched and moaned and whined and cried about it, but it worked to cut down on the rowdy behavior and scuffling on the bus.

We have to be loving and tolerant of others ourselves and set an example to our kids of how to act and grow up to be civilized humans. We need to talk to our kidsand teach them that all people are alike, andmthere are good and bad people with all different skin colors, and no one particular race has a monopoly on either good or bad behavior.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• That's right!! It's up to us moms and grandmoms (dads granddads too)
    to teach them to be kind, caring nice to others, to stand up for others and themselves
    There's enough negative and tough stuff lately, be nice to others!! yes intervention, and teaching kids about what is the right thing treat others like you want to be treated. will make the world nicer
    chevpam

Answer by chevpam at 12:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Quit introducing the president as "the first black president", his speaker of the house as "the first female speaker of the house" and their former opponent as "the first Mormon presidential candidate"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Make sure they understand it isn't just a punch or a kick. That one well landed hit could be the end of someone's life. Is a backpack or being called a name worth killing someone over?? If you have teens make sure they read this or at least know about it...

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/clerk/briefs/2004/1601-1800/04-1702_JurisAns2.pdf

"John Acosta (17) was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 9.25 years prison followed by three years of probation. Acosta hit the victim (16) in the face while the victim was distracted and not able to defend himself. The victim fell to the ground and did not fight back. A witness stated that the victim’s eyes began fluttering immediately. Appellant continued to hit the victim in the face even as he lay on the ground. Before Appellant released the victim, he stated, “I could have killed you"

{cont'd}
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• {cont'd from ^^} The chief medical examiner for Manatee County testified that the victim died as a result of a single blow to the right eye. The force of the punch twisted the victim’s neck, which resulted in a tear to the right vertebral artery. Blood flooded into the victim’s brain and spinal column. Due to this vertebral artery hemorrhage and the rapid change in pressure in the victim’s central nervous system, the victim would not have been able to remain standing for more than three seconds. The examiner testified that although this type of death is rare, it is well documented.

beachmamaof2

• children learn alot from their parents. I like everybody and have real close friends of different nationalities. im hispanic, my husband is black, we live in a mostly white neighborhood and the few minorities and whites get along. the parents all talk to eachother and the kids seem to follow. I know that there are outside influences but you have to talk to your children as well, they need the right tools in order to go out in the world and be good human beings. My family also follows God's teachings and try to live the way He and Jesus would want us to.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I echo most of the answers already given.......by example.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Proudmamma777 - I'm proud of you. We live mirror lives only diff is my hubby is Asian not black. We live in a mixed area of Baltimore, the same area I grew up in and I love it. We also teach our kids to respect people of all races, religions and backgrounds because we know not only is it the right thing to do but God and Christ example tells us too.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009