• In the Spotlight:

What's wrong with my baby

My son is 3 1/2 weeks old and every night from 8 to about 10:30 for the past 2 weeks my son cries and nothing we do makes him stop. we try everything we know and he still cries...i guess he eventually gets tired of crying and goes to sleep. but this only happens at night he is fine during the day. does anyone know why he would be doing this???

Jessy_jones

Asked by Jessy_jones at 12:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• awww congrats! well he might be colic. Thats when gases are present in his tummy. Believe me I went through it with my now "17" year old. It will take a while like 3 months to go away,but there are things over the counter you can get. Just ask the doc or pharmacist. Hope I helped a little. Good luck
    savvya

Answer by savvya at 12:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Use mylecon or Hylands colic tablets-sounds like colic.

Usually happens to formula fed kids but it did hapen to my DS and I used mylecon a couple of times and it worked like a charm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• He does this because he KNOWS you want to sleep and frankly he has other plans for your time...

But seriously, it could be colic, gas, he could be digesting which can be uncomfortable for him simply because babies that new can't always distinguish between hunger, pain, gas, or having to poop so they just cry during all of it. I'd say use probiotic powder or pellets and see if it helps, or switch to soy formula if he isn't breast fed. Also if he's taking suppliments like iron then you could try giving it to him in the morning and avoid it at night, or break it up into smaller doasges through out the day.
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 1:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sounds like colic - my son had this since he was 4 days old til he was 5 months. it happened up to 4 hour uncalmable crying sessions. we ended up taking him to a chiropractor but he was already 4-1/2 months old by that time, try culturelle -that's what I am using for my son, also gripe water, gas drops and TONS of patience and help to maintain your sanity. there's nothing to really stop these episodes so just prepare yourself for when they do happen. I would turn a nightlight on in his roo, listen to music to help calm ME and just rock him while he cried uncalmably... good luck mommy!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It is called colic and it happens to one baby out of four. It will pass at around four months.

Lots of breastfeeding, tummy rubs, an ounce of weak chamomile tea, wear or carry your baby, try to not lose your mind.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son did the exact same thing, only at night. We thought it was colic but it turned out he had acid reflux. I would talk to his doctor about the possibility of acid reflux just to rule it out. When my son had his fits it helped to put him in his swing. He used to sleep half the night in his swing until we figured out his acid reflux problem. If it's not acid reflux, then try a few of these things. Warm bath, bouncing, cuddling, swaddling, swaying, swinging, singing, swaddling, shooshing, mylicon, run the vacuum, put him in his stroller and roll him around, go for a drive, gripe water, or I've even heard that if you bundle them up in a clothes hamper and set them on top of a running dryer helps with colic. I hope things get better soon. Good luck and congrats! Baby boys are so much fun! :)
    AustinPsalm139

Answer by AustinPsalm139 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Ah, the witching hour! It's normal. Nothing's really "wrong" but your baby is shutting the world out int he only way he knows how.

What I found helpful was to really quiet down the activity level starting around 6 PM.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2009