Why would a potty trained boy, who hardly had accidents start having them daily? And what should I do about it?

My son Use to have an accident maybe twice a month but now its been almost everyday. When I ask him why, He says " I don't know." I don't understand why, and its getting a little frustrating.

kaydensmom32106

Asked by kaydensmom32106 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• omg i am in the same boat my child just started pre k she never wet herself now like everyday she does either at school or when she comes home she has been potty trained for over a year so i don't know what the problem is maybe someone will have an answer for us
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Could be any number of things. Some kids get so involved in what they are doing they forget. Stress in a child's life can disrupt it. It could be a medical issue such as a narrowed urethral tube such as my daughter had. Figure out when they are having the accidents and what's going on around them to see what the trigger may be. But also understand that young children are prone to set backs through no known cause. It might be in yours and your child's best interest to consult with their pediatrician. As frustrating as it is, don't make it worse by punishing them for it. Have them help clean up. Accidents happen.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My niece is just about 6 years old and she wet her pance only at night till the day she got her tounsils out.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Because they are so busy playing that they aren't paying attention to the signals their body is sending. When you were potty training and in the time after you were very focused on making sure they made it to the potty in a timely manner. For a while after the child stays focused on it and it becomes routine, then time goes on and they just can't stop playing, next thing they know it's urgent and they just can't make it to the potty in time. My son is 4 and in preschool in the mornings. He has been potty trained for more than a year and a half, but he has come home with wet spots on his pants 3 times in 3 weeks. Not full on wet, but wet in the crotch. I asked him what's going on and he said that he can't make it to the potty in time. He starts peeing as he's trying to get his pants down. Now I remind him every single morning to ask to use the potty before it becomes an emergency, that he has to stop playing and go.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009